PB's flower pics '09 update 8/26

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Awesome!!
Those Escobaria's are really, really nice 8)

BTW, since you posted E. chisoensis. What is your feeling between chisoensis and metorni? I see they are synonyms, but some say metorni should stay as is and not be lumped.

Weather is similar here...was windy as heck and in the low to mid 60's. Was like spring called in sick and winter filled in for a few days :)
peterb

Post by peterb »

Darryl, I don't really know metornii. Don't think I've ever even seen it in a photo or in person. I'm surprised really that chisoensis itself hasn't been combined into a larger species complex...althugh off the top of my head I'm not sure where it would go.

Here's a tip on the Escobaria: maximum UV. The crazy organensis actually got slightly etiolated and soft *here* in frikkin' Phoenix last autumn. They grow in the autumn after the hot weather relents, so as much light as they can possibly get late in the season is crucial, as well as early. They put on a lot of growth when the sun is still at a low angle so they need *hours* of direct sun then. Pots are better so they can be turned, IMO.

peterb
Zone 9
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Oh Yeah, loving those Escobaria's.
Bill

If it sticks ya or pokes ya, I like it
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

peterb wrote:Darryl, I don't really know metornii. Don't think I've ever even seen it in a photo or in person.
Not the greatest pic, but it's the one almost dead center.

Got it from CactusJordi and when i called it E. chisoensis he was quite adament that is was metornii and differed from chisoensis. I never did get to the details of why though ;) I also remember reading the same thing elsewhere. So thought i'd run it by you.

Thanks for the Escobaria info! I'll repot them in clay pots and stick em out in the desert garden, full sun all day :)
peterb

Post by peterb »

That's the ticket. They want spines!

Re: metornii. I wonder how it ended up with chisoensis at all? From photos it looks very different. Cactus-Art has it growing in Big Bend, which is a mistake. Sierra Mojada, the only known locality, is in Coahuila.

I also noticed, poking around on the web, that the only other species under which chisoensis has been combined has been reichenbachii. That really expands the limits of reichenbachii.

anyway thanks for the pic. It's a great looking Echinocereus!

peterb
Zone 9
birdguy34

Post by birdguy34 »

Although I don't know how true it is, but I heard metornii might be closer to adjustus. From what I've seen it can be a very young bloomer for an Echinocereus- two years from seed.
Chris
peterb

Post by peterb »

I can see the adustus connection. The flowers I saw on the web reminded me of palmeri, too. *sigh* something else to grow from seed! I need a few acres....

peterb
Zone 9
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

peterb wrote: I need a few acres....
From what I've seen, 10 acres makes a good outdoor cactus garden! :wink:
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
peterb

Post by peterb »

more flowers from the last week or so, bunch of repeats but new angles/perspectives on them. May the Escobaria festival continue!:

Escobaria sneedii ssp. leei:

E. organensis, some of the smallest flowers of this group:

E. laredoi:

Escobaria missouriensis, dizzying double flowers, great colors. Not sure the coppers and so on come through in the photos:

The ever-amazing Escobaria minima:

The recently "famous" RP33, getting ready to flower:

Unknown Coryphantha, nice flower colors. Kind of blurry.

The 102F heat really opened up the Escobaria guadalupensis flowers:

E. sneedii ssp. sneedii, very frilly indeed:

Some Anacampseros rufescens flowers, both the standard form and a larger-leaved hybrid from Miles:

Epithelantha pachyrhiza (?):

This triglochidiatus X dasyacanthus is from seed harvested in the Santa Fe greenhouses xeriscape demo garden 8 years ago. I look forward to the flower:

Can't stop taking pics of Mammillaria viridiflora. My apologies to anyone who's tired of it!

peterb
Zone 9
John C

Post by John C »

Nice show! :)
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"
hegar

Post by hegar »

Hey Peter,
are you sure that there is a cactus hiding somewhere under all that fluff of that plant you call Epithelantha pachyrhiza? :lol:
All your images are superb. I find the miniature cacti especially cute and appealing. The clump-forming plants like your Escobaria sneedii var. leei are just heavenly.

Harald
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

woohoo! :hello1:
Great show man! :thumbup:
E. missouriensis = TFS!
Andy_CT

Post by Andy_CT »

peterb wrote: Can't stop taking pics of Mammillaria viridiflora. My apologies to anyone who's tired of it!
Well I can't get enough of it so don't stop 8)

Awesome set of pics for the others too!!
Tony

Post by Tony »

Dont stop, Dont stop! :)
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
John P Weiser

Post by John P Weiser »

Love all your images! Escobaria are near the top of my list of favorite cactus. 8)
From the High Desert Steppe
of the Great Basin and foot hills
of the Sierra Nevada Range
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sierrarainshadow/
sierrarainshadow