Ray's 2011 garden in Connecticut

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
RayC

Post by RayC »

fanaticactus wrote:Do you have even more room to expand?
I will find the room.

Haven't seen any slug damage (or slugs) thusfar this year. I am not sure if its the snake(s), last years treament with the iron phosphate bait, or the encircling of most of the plants with pre 1982 pennys that is keeping them away but whatever it is it seems to be working.
Last edited by RayC on Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

Nice to see!
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
Andy_CT

Post by Andy_CT »

RayC wrote: Haven't seen any slug damage (or slugs) thusfar this year. I am not sure if its the snake(s), last years treament with the iron phosphate bait, or the encircling of most of the plants with pre 1982 pennys that is keeping them away but whatever it is it seems to be working.
I don't have an explanation for it but there are almost no slugs at all this year. Its great! Still I would be interested as to why so that maybe future slug outbreaks can be forecast.
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

RayC wrote:Haven't seen any slug damage (or slugs) thusfar this year. I am not sure if its the snake(s), last years treament with the iron phosphate bait, or the encircling of most of the plants with pre 1982 pennys that is keeping them away but whatever it is it seems to be working.
Wow! You give 'em the triple whammy! Have you checked on your neighbors? The critters may have migrated there...
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!
RayC

I missed it

Post by RayC »

First couple flowers bloomed yesterday. My garden is shaded in the afternoon so I sometimes miss catching them open. Yesteday was worse then normal as ominus black clouds had it so dark the solar light in yard were on when I got home from work at 4:30. Hopefully I will catch them today (I took a quick look early this AM and a couple more on same plant are ready to pop today).
Andy_CT

Post by Andy_CT »

those were some big t-storms yesterday!
RayC

Post by RayC »

Andy_CT wrote:those were some big t-storms yesterday!
For sure, lots of sraight line winds with them also
(power is likely still out at home, and I'm in a low priority area for restoration)
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Garden is looking great Ray! There is a chance of rain here and we need it, but can do without strong wind, hail, and all that stuff!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
RayC

Post by RayC »

Well I lucked out and came home to find power back on. To bad my garden is still shaded in the afternoon though :( . This is the best I could get today, maybe The first 2 flowers will try for a third day and I can catch them in the AM. 'Nebraska orange'

RayC

Post by RayC »

Well I had intended to get a couple pics on the weekend, turned out cloudy and rain both days so flowers stayed closed. Sunny Monday however my better half didn't have to work and took these for me.

daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Great flowers. Now is the time to go back to the first pictures you posted in this thread. It is hard to believe isn't it?!?
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Andy_CT

Post by Andy_CT »

Nice flowers!

That is one happy looking missouriensis, imo the hardiest non Opuntia for the Northeast.
RayC

Post by RayC »

Andy_CT wrote:Nice flowers!

That is one happy looking missouriensis, imo the hardiest non Opuntia for the Northeast.
It does seem pretty durable (in my limited experiance). Not shy in the flowering department either.
RayC

Post by RayC »

First time bloomer for me

humifusa also getting also starting

Andy_CT

Post by Andy_CT »

That's O. 'Claude Arno' there's no mistaking that flower.