some seedling photos

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
prairieguy

Post by prairieguy »

Great pics -- helpful to see how the seedlings look at different ages. Now I have a much better idea of what to expect from my own seedlings. I really liked the "side view, mostly Fero wislizenii and Stenocereus gummosus" - plus, the drum in the background gives it that "something extra." 8) And the closeup of Astrophytum coahuilense is a winner! Very pleasing visually.

Me, I'm still waiting for the first sprouts, but then it's only been three days. :roll: Maybe I can practice taking close-up shots while I'm waiting for some action! Or perhaps I could just go to work - yikes! Almost Monday already . . .
Scott
peterb

Post by peterb »

An update after two months.

Glandulicactus wrightii (or, Sclerocactus uncinatus ssp. wrightii):

Echinomastus erectocentrus "acunensis" (or, Sclerocactus erectocentrus, period):

Epithelantha micromeris:

Astrophytum myriostigma "columnare", showing how all the Astros are starting to put on a little felt and rib action:

The fastest of the lot by far: Opuntia basilaris brachyclada:

some of the pots are growing nice little crops of algae too, but I've never really worried about this as it doesn't seem to harm the seedlings.

peterb
Zone 9
Tony

Post by Tony »

Nice! 8)
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
iann

Post by iann »

Looks like you've got some good light there. My Epithelanthas are a stubborn green, although they are putting on lots of spines.
--ian
MichaelCactus

Post by MichaelCactus »

Theyre coming along greatly Peter, hope the do well in the final stages ;)
Completely Confused, yet Completely Addicted.
peterb

Post by peterb »

Ian, I was amazed by the etiolation and growth rate of many so I started putting them on the south facing windowsill in direct sun.
peterb
Zone 9
Mark

Post by Mark »

I like those little epithelantha's. TFS

Mark
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Cool! Looking good man!
That basilaris still blows me away. TFS!
peterb

Post by peterb »

A 12 week update. Thanksgiving seems like a loooong time ago! I pushed my camera to the max to get some of these photos, but even with a bit of blurriness most came out in a way that gives a good idea of spine formation, etc.

The seedlings on the south facing windowsill during the day:

The Astrophytums, as follows: coahuilense, capricorne crassispinum, crassispinoides, myriostigma tulense, strongylogonum, potosinum, quadricostatum, A. ornatum, myriostigma nudum, columnare:

Some sparse results, some not: Echinocereus waldeisii, Ancistrocactus tobuschii, Escobaria organensis, Opuntia basilaris brachyclada, Cochemia setispina, Mam. dioica, M. fraileana, Echinocereus russanthus "weedinii":

Echinofossulocactus multicostatus, E. zacatecasensis, self-collected Escobaria seed (finally starting to tighten up a little...really neds very high light), Glandulicactus wrightii:

Baja Mammillaria seed from 2006, one of which is throwing out tiny hooks, a group shot showing how I sowed the seed too densely, Echinocereus coccineus white flowered form, Echinomastus erectocentrus acunensis, Mam. meridiorosei SB3, Esco. albicolumnaria, Mam. meridiorosei RP78, Peniocereus greggii:

Mammillaria aff. boolii from Baja, SB1659, Escobaria dasyacantha, Epithelantha micromeris:

Fero wislizenii, Stenocereus gummosus, a different wislizenii:

Some will be ready to separate and give more space in a few weeks, especially that Opuntia. I don't like the look of the algae on the soil surface but it isn't harming the plants at all. I'll post some more pics of this batch at 6 months, God willing.

peterb
Zone 9
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Holy super sweet seedlings batman!

Looking good Peter!

I've noticed that over time the algae will get brittle. I've been using a small pin to pick it out in decent size clumps. It's only a few mm's thick and the soil under it is nice and clean :D
Tony

Post by Tony »

looking good peterb!
How do you determin when to seperate them, Is it just personal preference, or do some of them grow better after they reach a certin sise, or is it just that they dont all fit in the pot together anymore?
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
peterb

Post by peterb »

It's partly how big they are. Sometimes it's that they were sowed wrong (too densely) and need to be separated to keep going...if they're too dense, they just sit there. ("starvation culture"). In that case, I always lose some when I split them up, but there's no other way to keep them growing.

I wish I had enough space to use 72 cell plug trays with one plant in each cell. As it is, there will be about 5 individuals in a 2.5 inch pot.

peterb
Zone 9
Mark

Post by Mark »

They are looking good Peter.

Mark
TimN

Post by TimN »

Those Peniocerei look bizarre. Awesome results, Peter.

Tim
Kis

Post by Kis »

they are looking so nice...