Sterilizing Soil & Fungicide for Seeds

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
parodias

Post by parodias »

Plantcelot,

Your survey is ok but you should also consult EXTOXNET as I posted before ..
The info on "Superol" is wrong due to "tribal" differences :D
"Superol" here is the commercial name for throat tablets containing Chinosol, they are used as a gargarism when one has a cold :)
FWIW
Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae.
parodias

Post by parodias »

phil_SK wrote:Wow that's thorough! So many pesticides have been banned in the UK I always feel confident that what's left must be safe (the fact that I've worked in a lab routinely handling stuff like osmium tetroxide and sodium cyanoborhydride plus countless carcinogenic compounds makes me a little more relaxed about using insecticides, probably wrongly).
Still curious about a powder that could be used with the seeds rather than watering something in afterwards.
I've been working in a research lab for almost all my life, those last 35 years in fundamental molecular biology and the effect it has is that I'm actually scared to death using any chemicals that normally do not belong in a plantpot :D So I'm very very cautious !

BTW Thiram aka TMTD comes as a powder .. I decribed before my method of sowing using the powder, in this forum ..
FWIW
Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae.
hob

Re: Sterilizing Soil & Fungicide for Seeds

Post by hob »

Plantcelot wrote: 2
2. Finding a good fungicide that it is safe for the seeds

I have read that this procedure is very good in order to prevent seed fungus. A diluted amount of fungicide is feed to the seeds/plants everytime they are watered.

I have not used any specific fungicide before (with the exception of the Rootone with fungicide added).

What is a good dilution rate that is very safe for the seeds/seedlings?

Any recommendation of good fungicide products?

:D
while i was in france on holiday my seedlings (i took them with me} developed a grey coloured fungus on top of the soil in the trays, not speaking any french was a big problem :? i ended up buying a spray for "maladies des rosiers" which i guessed was a cure for fungus on roses. :lol:

it worked very well :D now and again it comes back and i spray it again, i have now tracked down an english product with the same active ingrediant.

i will probably just plant my seeds and give them a quick spray when i plant them, then use as and when required.

engilsh product with same active ingrediant
Kills greenfly, blackfly, whitefly, thrips, scale, red spider mite and other mites. Controls black spot, mildew and rust on roses, mildew and rust on ornamentals.

http://www.birstall.co.uk/products/wpbi0550.html
incurable cactoholic
growing rebutia's with a mix of others.
Plantcelot

Post by Plantcelot »

parodias
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:16 am Post subject:
Plantcelot,

Your survey is ok but you should also consult EXTOXNET as I posted before ..
The info on "Superol" is wrong due to "tribal" differences
"Superol" here is the commercial name for throat tablets containing Chinosol, they are used as a gargarism when one has a cold
[/quote]

:D Hi Parodias, I just thought that I had made a big boo-boo and I rechecked my links. I found everything fine. The safety Data sheet in the pdf format was about Chinosol W used as a fungicide. The link to buy it was for "Chinosol Fungicide ( 8-hydroxy quinoline sulfate ) powder" and the link for more information could contain information about other type of products as well because it is a general search on Chinosol and mostly in german, italian and other languages than english. I did find in there some info that contained chinosol used as a fungicide and also with cactus, mesembs, and others. There were more than 70 postings in there, I´m sure that some of the links could be useful. I just tried to make things a little easier for anyone that could be interested in learning more about all of these. It was just meant as a jump-start.

I also checked Extoxnet but noticed that the PAN Pesticides Database had most of the names on my list and some of them were not available at Extoxnet. I also prefer the simpler Summary Toxity format of the PAN Pesticides Database. It was just a matter of personal preference but, here is a link for the ones who will like to check it out: EXTOXNET . O:)

hob, that type of info is great, thanks! I'm now aware that the fungicides I listed might not be available worldwide. It is very useful to have information of good products available at different parts of the world. :thumbup: