TimN Photo Topic 2010

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

amazing plants! especially the last one!
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
TimN

Post by TimN »

Thanks everyone!

Yes, those are stenos in one gallon pots. I got them at Old West Cactus Farm up near Anthem. They had quite a few of the ones covered in offsets, but I didn't see any more spiny ones.

Darryl, as a matter of fact I put in some new shelves and tables last week. I doubled the size if my shade cover this summer. Unfortunately, most of the added space doesn't get much-any sun in winter.

I had to move a bunch of stuff to the new shelves in the sun. So I've got some empty space, but its shady for about 3 months.
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim
peterb

Post by peterb »

If the last is zacatecasensis it should have a nice purple or purple-ish flower, larger than the usual Steno flower.

peterb
Zone 9
TimN

Post by TimN »

We've had unseasonally warm temps for the past week or so. Some Mamms are taking advantage!

M. hernandezii - lots of buds still to go!

M. huitzilopoctlii - pronounced just like its' spelled!

M. solisiodes - offsets grew over the summer.

I noticed the growth point on this M. crucigera widening last week. It looks like it's going for a dichotomous split!

The Turbi pseudopectinatus is working on some flowers too. T. gielsdorfinanus is still flowering too.

And finally, the Fenesteria with their cheerful flowers. I got this yellow flowered plant in Pasadena this summer from Corona Cactus.

I've had this white flowered plant for a couple of years. I got my paint brush out and crossed them. We'll see if we get anything.
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim
Tony

Post by Tony »

Same here Tim, supposed to be 86f today.
Great looking stuff! 8)
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
iann

Post by iann »

Everything is looking great. We're frozen solid here and very little is in flower. A couple of Othonnas and some Fenestrarias, but you can tell their hearts' aren't in it.

The two Fenestraria flower colours are highly compatible, but the results are usually just a washed out intermediate. Or maybe you'll be the one to get that stripy flower :shock:
--ian
TimN

Post by TimN »

Thankfully not frozen here! A few more from yesterday...

M. pectinifera getting ready with some buds.

What I think is another M. polythele sport.

Another M. tlalocii with an offset. I read these are solitary...

M. yaquensis - not particularly photogenic...

A Steno seedling that's almost 3 years old. I thought it was cool how you can see the juvenile and mature spine forms. If you squint you can see the very first spines way near the bottom which were long and hooked.

another picture of that weird Steno I bought recently...

T. pseudopectinatus - this one is early with the flower.

And finally my Titanopsis. I've been trying to kill it for about three years, but it persists! It's doing pretty good now....maybe I should repot it...

Tim
hob

Post by hob »

What I think is another M. polythele sport.

Mammillaria spinosissima cv.'Un Pico' :?:
http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19432
incurable cactoholic
growing rebutia's with a mix of others.
TimN

Post by TimN »

After looking at it, I agree. Very weird spine growth...

Tim
TimN

Post by TimN »

I just finished making a couple of sticks to lend some scale to my photos. I made a short one 10cm long divided into 2.5cm sections and a longer one 25cm long divided into 5cm sections with 2.5cm sections on one end.

We'll see how useful they are...
Mammillaria crucigera - this one is working on a dichotomous split.

Mammillaria hererrae - too cold for the flowers to open.

M. lasiascantha - a tiny clump less than 5cm across.

M. pectinifera hoping for warmer weather.

M. sanchez-mejorade

Some little M. tlalocii

Tim
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

Winter has barely started and after seeing these I can hardly wait for spring! If I remember correctly my plants normally come into bloom after their west coast cousins... but that doesn't help me be less impatient!

Can you tell I'm jealous?
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
TimN

Post by TimN »

I'm always looking forward to growing or flowering season! I keep reminding myself it will only be another couple of months.

Tim
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

Tim,
to be honest me too. Most of my plants are still alive after our 20F night the other night. What a way to end 2010, with one of the coldest nights I have had since I moved to Arizona. The ground was frozen for 2 nights in a row. Last night it was 38F so the ground finally unfroze. It was so cold our river which is usually dry but had rain/snow melt running in it was frozen over and sorta slushy.

Hopefully all my plants will be ok.
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Nice plants as always Tim.

It would be helpful to know which of the two sticks you are using in each picture if they have different length segments. I am curious - why not just use a ruler? I know you will have a method behind it.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
TimN

Post by TimN »

I only used the 10cm stick in these pictures. I was hoping to get something more readable than a ruler, but I'm not sure I'm there yet.

The segments in the pictures above are 2.5 cm.

I only got down to 29.2 on 1/1/11. Not too cold here, considering what other people experienced. Looking at my temp traces what was unusual about this was that the cold lasted for several hours.

Tim