cross breeding with different species

Create seed of your own
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Yeah, I learned that here - from Ian I think. But that the self-sterile plants have inhibitors that don't allow its own pollen to work. Then the inhibitor is removed with "foreign" pollen which makes it receptive to other pollen as well as itself.

(I'm sure I have the right in concept, if not in language. :wink: )
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
iann

Post by iann »

Of course it never happens when you're desperate to get some seed from that one very special plant!
--ian
wenresep

Post by wenresep »

Hi

I have been reading through this forum for quite some time but this is my first post.

This is the first time I have seen any forum discuss this actual technique.

The concept of inducing "Selfed" seed on self infertile cactus by using foreign pollen.

Is this relatively foolproof and would it work on my scopolicola? I have been looking for a seedparent to match with mine for producing true to type seedlings without any luck and scopolicola aren't that commonly distributed around here.

If I understand the concept correctly, Would that work if I say, take a mammalaria or lophophora's pollen mix it with the scops own pollen to pollinate it in order to encourage it to "self" it's "self" :P ?

Could I have some examples including species used that has successfully induced this behavior? Or are there cacti I should consider that has a strong tendency in it's pollen to overcome this barrier?
Loph

Post by Loph »

nothing is fool proof, especially with plants!
Stephen Robert Irwin: 22 February 1962 – 4 September 2006. Rest In Peace.
iann

Post by iann »

Use something that is extremely unlikely to cross. Certainly pick a different genus, maybe go as far as an Opuntia. Or buy some seed :shock:
--ian
wenresep

Post by wenresep »

Thanx

Funny you mention Opuntia. The Opuntia idea did pop into my mind a couple of times yesterday.

I shall give it a throw.
gio

Post by gio »

daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Let us know how it goes too! I hope it works!

Gio - you have some mind-blowing Astrophytums! :shock:
Lewis_cacti

Post by Lewis_cacti »

:shock: wow go gio! amazing stuff there.
gio

Post by gio »

Crossings are made by Paolo Panarotto.

Giovanni.
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

I was about to start a new thread with my questions, but this thread answered them quite sufficiently!

But i am wondering if this worked...

I've recently crossed Echinocereus fendleri v. kuenzleri with E. viridiflorus. Mainly cause they were open at the same time, but i thought a really big green flower or a really small purple flower would be really cool! (i doubt it works this way, but i like to dream) I also thought the morphing of the different spine types might create something fun.

The E. viridiflorus has set fruit, so something is going on. I did not pollinate the fendleri, as i was hoping the others would open flowers at the same time...but they didn't :(

Another cross i tried was, Loph williamsii with Strombo disciformis. This was unsuccessful, but next time i'll try the reverse and see if anything happens.

My next attempt is Opuntia. Since our O. poly v. erinacea is now flowering, along with our C. bigelovii... eh, it's worth a shot right? or am i dreaming again? I haven't heard of any Opuntia x Cylindropuntia hybrids before, so i may be wasting my time...
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

That fruit you got might be a self pollination job that was accepted due to the foreign pollen. This might have enabled the self-pollination in other words, not made the pollination, but I don't know on these species.
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Ya, hopefully the potential seed is viable and in a year or 2 we'll know what happened ;)
sticklypear

Post by sticklypear »

can the pollen be kept for a short time while till the intended recipient flowers?
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

sticklypear wrote:can the pollen be kept for a short time while till the intended recipient flowers?
Thats a good question and i would love to know this as well... Can we keep the pollen for a short amount of time or for X amount of days. :roll:
A rescue dog is never to old to learn to be a real dog. Image