Im new to it all and need some help

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
lordarutha

Post by lordarutha »

WallOfShadows wrote:As for the fungus issue, is there a fungicide that can be used if the seedling gets infected? (its a little late to microwave the pot in my case)
There is stuff you can buy but you would need to check with other forum members if it can halt root development. I know it can in some species but I am not sure about loph's.
Paul.
WallOfShadows

Post by WallOfShadows »

Well after a bit of waiting, i was beginning to wonder if my germination attempt had failed. But I woke up today to a small suprise, Ive got a seedling. Its a peruvian torch and its going strong.

However, the other pots have not germinated and under the current conditions, may not germinate at all. So ive decided to build a fishtank propigation tank. My hope is, under more ocntrolled conditions, the others will germinate. If not, ill just repot, re-sow with new seeds, and start again.

On a side note, I think one of my LW pots has fungus growing on/in it. I noticed today, a tall, thin, (uhhh) thing sticking out of the pot (about a quarter of an inch tall). It has a weird red head on it; im pretty sure its a fungus.

If it is a fungus, what can I do about it?

Pictures to come later today.
The power of acurate observation is often referred to as cynicism, by those that do not possess it. -G.B Shaw
iann

Post by iann »

Most fungi are not interested in your seedlings, they grow on dead organic material. It isn't unusual to get mushrooms growing if you use an organic soil. I use loam, no mushrooms, no fungus gnats, and (possibly due to microwaving) no damping off, and no algae or moss for many months. I don't use fungicide.
--ian
WallOfShadows

Post by WallOfShadows »

Thanks for the reply

I just used a cactus planting soil i bougth at a local green house. I doubt whatever is growing in the pot with my LW seed has anything to do with the cacti, but if what you are saying is true, is it better to leave the fungus to grow, hope my seed germinates, then transplant it asap?

I just dont know what to do to fix the situation.
The power of acurate observation is often referred to as cynicism, by those that do not possess it. -G.B Shaw