some seedling photos

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Yes, i soaked the seeds for 72ish hours and soaked the pots for about 96ish hours (just cause i got caught up in others things before sowing :roll: ) i soaked them seperately. I was thinking of doing a freeze/thaw cycle or 2 if i had nothing by Sunday. The seeds look very moist and i've given them a spray mist daily or bi-daily. I have also been looking for a cheap blender and do the sand mix thing. I'm not going to let them beat me! :evil:

The agave seeds did not get soaked, but i did sown them vertically. They, as well, have remained quite moist. Again, if nothing by Sunday, i'll soak them for ~24hrs.

thanks.
peterb

Post by peterb »

Hi- well, it's week three for this year's seed raising project. (Strange that Thanksgiving was three weeks ago....)

The tray, often without the lid now:

O. basilaris brachyclada really going fast:

Mirror, mirror on the wall, who is the most etiolated of them all? Escobaria organensis! Definitely will sow Escobarias at higher light intensity next time:

Many Baja mams and Feros and others seem fine with life on the softer side so far:

Generally, germination has concluded. The spring sowings that I've done in the past featured sporadic germination for weeks after the first push, but this winter sowing was more like *bam* and then nothing. No complaints...I have no idea what I'll do with nearly 700 seedlings a year or two from now, anyway. Hey, maybe I can sell them for $1500 each on eBay! :lol:

My pot-by-pot count showed mortality only for Cochemia pondii, which I have promptly removed from the chamber and put on the windowsill. I always forget how easy these plants are to rot off soon after germination. All the Astrophytums have been out for a week already. Generally, I'm going on the dry side with just about all the pots...not arid, but less moist than the first few weeks.

peterb
Zone 9
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Looking good Peter!

That basilaris is going off!
Christer Johansson

Post by Christer Johansson »

CoronaCactus wrote:That basilaris is going off!
Yeah, very strong growing on those :shock:
/Christer
peterb

Post by peterb »

An update one month after sowing:

Mostly Astrophytums catching oblique sunrise rays on the last day of fall:

One cool thing: I figured out how to do better closeups with my camera. Astrophytum coahuilense, SB878:

Fero wislizenii at the "seven areoles a piece" stage:
unknown Baja mams from last year:
The eager basilaris brachyclada:
A. myriostigma strongylogonum GL652:
Peniocereus greggii
Echinomastus erectocentrus acunensis, CR137
Epithelantha micromeris

Keeping my fingers crossed that nothing untoward happens while I'm in Baja. I'm going to soak the pots and put the plant light and bottom heat on a timer.

see you in 2008! Happy everything.

peterb
Zone 9
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Looking good Peterb!

Hope all is well for them when you return.
peterb

Post by peterb »

A 45-day update. As I mentioned in another post, prior to the Baja trip I just bottom watered all the pots until they were quite moist and set everything up with light and timer, crossing my fingers. When we got back Wednesday the pots were dry and light as a feather, but to no ill effect.

blurry Echinomastus erectocentrus acunensis (sharply focused grit, though):
Overview:
side view, mostly Fero wislizenii and Stenocereus gummosus:
Astrophytum myriostigma quadricostatum, whiting up:
One of the pots of Baja mams from last year, first bristles:
Peniocereus greggii with formidable rib action:
A. myriostigma potosinum also getting hoary:
The indomitable Opuntia basilaris brachyclada:

Still not entirely happy with how much light they are getting, but I am happy with the single light bulb I bought before the trip, a bulb with a standard screw in fixture from "Ott-Lite," the box for which says "It's like natural daylight for plants." I think 3 of these per tray would be better but I don't have the cash right now. The seedlings are in direct sun a couple hours a day which helps.

peterb
Zone 9
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Excellent!
That basilaris is looking like an Opuntia now :D
iann

Post by iann »

You don't need an Ott Lite (the spiral ones?) to grow seedlings. Just get a bulb or two from Home Depot, $5 instead of $50 and they work just as well. I find that 20W of this type of light per square foot is a good starting point, seedlings your size will probably stand 30W. I mix and match bulbs of different powers to get enough lights to keep the seedlings compact and nicely coloured without sending them too red. I prefer the 6500K colour to the 3000K ones.
--ian
peterb

Post by peterb »

Hey Ian, thanks for the tip. I only have one fixture so I figured I'd get a fancy bulb. The single bulb was about $20. I'm planning to get a four bulb 2 ft. fixture and regular bulbs at some point. Of course there's no shortage of sunlight in Arizona, but as I've said before, winter seed sowing gives me something to do besides watch my plants sleep. :lol:

peterb
Zone 9
Lewis_cacti

Post by Lewis_cacti »

owow, you guys are really into this seed growing business :P All looking great.
the spines developing on that opuntia are cool 8)
hob

Post by hob »

peterb wrote: (sharply focused grit, though):

peterb
incurable cactoholic
growing rebutia's with a mix of others.
Tony

Post by Tony »

They look great! 8)
Do they grow better with a cool jazz beat or good ol rock and roll? :laughing6:
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
Christer Johansson

Post by Christer Johansson »

The seedlings has done well, as for what I can see :thumbright:
How many daylight hours do you have these days over there?
/Christer
peterb

Post by peterb »

ha Tony, well, since the Ott light is attached to the ride cymbal stand, there's been a little less drumming overall in the seed room. Cacti like it rough though...anything from free jazz to xeric metal seems to please them.

Christer, days are only about 10 hours long right now. but the seed table is positioned to get sun through the south facing window from about noon to 2.

peterb
Zone 9