TimN 2010 Collection Photos

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
TimN

Echinocactus

Post by TimN »

I only have a few of these too.

E. grusonii

This clump is going in the front yard in a few weeks. Got it from a big box store for $12.

Seedlings! Slated for repotting soon.

E. polycephala
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim
TimN

Echinocereus

Post by TimN »

This is incomplete right now. More to be added soon.

E. knippelianus clumping top-flowers

E. knippelianus non-clumping side-flowers from Corona Cactus.

E. viridiflorus ssp. davisii - this plant developed two splits from the recent rain.
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim
TimN

Echinomastus

Post by TimN »

Only two of these, both E. johnsonii.

Tim
TimN

Echinopsis

Post by TimN »

Only a few of these too...

E. schieliana

The mother plant...

Some NOIDs

Tim
TimN

Epithelantha

Post by TimN »

E. bokei

E. bokei

E. greggii from MG. Three plants...

E. greggii - two more from MG, these have black-ish spines.

E. greggii - three more random plants...

pinkish spines...

steely blue spines...

plain old spines...

E. micromeris

E. micromeris

E. micromeris ssp. unquispina - one of my favorites...

E. pachyrhiza - 2 plants from MG

E. polycephala

E. polycephala

E. polycephala - from the same batch as above. The short one middle right used to be tall. It started to rot, so I cut it off and rooted it. If you look closely there are also a bunch of seedlings growing in that pot. I don't know what they are. I think I stuck the polycephala in a pot of failed seeds. I guess they just needed a mother plant.
Last edited by TimN on Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tim
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Wow Tim! Really some beauties there. Did you talk about that polycephalus before? A rescue? Sure has some heavy spines.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
TimN

Post by TimN »

I've posted pics of the polycephalas before. I don't remember where I got the first one, but it is the more "normal" of the two.

The second one I got at the annual CACSS silent auction. It was a clay pot with the main plant and a bunch of others. I've killed one or two and traded one to Tony.

The weird thing about the second one is that the main plant and most of the smaller ones are making offsets at the very top of the plant.

I still don't know exactly what these are supposed to look like. The illustrations I've seen so far are really variable.

I'm looking forward to seeing what they turn into.

I took 4 cuttings off the first E. polycephala about a week ago. They're rooting in the garage. Hopefully they'll all survive!

Tim
John C

Post by John C »

What a GREAT collection! 8) Beautiful plants!
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"
TimN

Escobaria

Post by TimN »

About half of these are new to me within the past year. I really like the spines.

E. albicolumnaria

E. laredoii

E. sneedii

E. sneedii ssp. leeii - about 1/4th the size of the plant above.

E. minima - a tiny species from Mesa Garden. It's about the size of the last joint of your pinkie. It's starting an offset below the top dressing.

E. minima - from Corona Cactus. I think the spines on these are awesome!

E. nellii - reduced under E. minima but I don't buy it!

Now we have a bunch that I'm calling E. vivipara. If you have other suggestions, let me know.

E. vivipara 1 - A small rescue plant from around Heber, AZ.

E. vivipara 2 - also from Heber.

E. vivipara 3 - I thought this was Echinomastus intertexus for a long time. (don't ask me why!)

E. vivipara - the next three are all from the same batch. I got them from two crazy ladies on craigslist. Two of these are available for sale/trade.

E. vivipara ssp. desertii????? Another rescue plant

Tim
TimN

Geohintonia

Post by TimN »

Another short subject.

G. mexicana - I've had this for about 14 months. The split rib was just starting when I got it, to give you a sense for how fast it's grown for me.

I wish I had several!

Tim
iann

Post by iann »

You might have more Epithelanthas than I have cacti altogether :shock: That first E. bokei must be ancient! The second one looks like those Mexican "E. bokei" that I don't think are E. bokei at all ;)

There's no Escobaria nelii. There's Escobaria (and Coryphantha) nelliae, but they really are the exact same Nellie Cory Cactus from just a tiny area of Texas. Your plant looks like something else. Have you seen it flower? I love this species for the spines and then for the masses of big flowers. OK, not really big, but big compared to the plant bodies!
--ian
TimN

Gymnocalycium

Post by TimN »

One of the few south American genus I've got. I really like the spines and the green suede skin on some.

G. anitsii (I think) - this will NOT grow in direct sun for me. It has to be less than 50% shade or it just shrivels up. Weird - not one of my favorites.

G. bayrianum - awesome spines and great green suede skin. One of my favorites.

G. bodenbenderianum - I dig the spines! I fought mealies on this for a while. Persistent buggers...

G. bruschii - when you have one G. bruschii you soon have several!

G. bruschii 2

G. bruschii 3

G. bruschii 4

G. denudatum - from M2G, was previously favored by hungry rodents.

G. horstii

G. horstii 2

G. horstii 3 - an offset from a plant I subsequently killed. I don't like the looks of that brown scab, though.

G. horstii 4 - this was the mother for the first two plants. Kind of ugly but it keeps squirting out offsets as separate plants from below.

I have another large G. horstii that I must have missed with the camera. I'm pretty sure I missed at least one G. bruschii too.

G. joosensianum - this has been reduced beneath some other species, but I don't buy it. I'll keep this name. I got this at a CACSS silent auction a few years ago and it does NOT react well to being repotted. It takes months for it to recover. It's doing well now, so I'll leave it alone until the pot is waaaay too small.

G. mesopotamicum - this cranks out tons of white flowers in the spring. I bought this in a 3.5" pot two years ago. It had split dichotomously into 4 heads then offset like mad.

I have two other smaller G. mesopotamicum that I neglected to take pictures of.

G. netralianum - had this for 2.5 years. It's been sunburnt and abused by rodents in the past but is doing well now.

G. pentlandii - same story as the one above.

G. saglionis

G. vatterii - another one that has been reduced, again, I don't buy it. Great spines!

Tim
TimN

Leuchtenbergia

Post by TimN »

L. principis - a triple header I got in bad shape with a Tephrocactus from a woman (not obviously crazy) on craigslist.

L. principis - the "rough" skin variety from M2G.

I also have six or so seedlings that are about a year old. Pictures soon.

Tim
TimN

Lophophora *ahem* Anholonium

Post by TimN »

Yeah, that's it, Anhononium williamsii...

One of two large plants.

The other large one...

The first of 5 smaller plants.

16 Seedlings from the seeds from the top two plants. Just over a year old. More on the way...

Tim
TimN

Post by TimN »

Up next: Mammillaria with 120 pictures! I'll split them up into multiple posts.

Tim