Cactus (and Succulent) Identification

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
templegatejohn

Cactus (and Succulent) Identification

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi all,

The Cacti Forum is getting busier and busier and this is due in no small part to the hard work that Daiv is putting in on our behalf. I have been thinking about penning this for some while and had some spare time, so here goes. For many of you it will be preaching to the converted, for others it may be of some interest and for some a trip to the supermarket would hold more appeal.

More and more members are requesting an ID for their plants and it is great fun for us to do this, or at least try, and long may it continue.

Having said all that Cacti can be notoriously difficult to ID correctly, perhaps more so than any other plant material in the world. There are probably more Cacti incorrectly labelled than any other form of plant life. From a one dimensional photograph it can be all but impossible. So how can we even attempt to ID a plant?

Well some plants and it is not always the common ones are so distinctive that they almost shout their name out loud. In other cases even a scientist would have to resort to spine count; colour of spines; shape of areole and of course rib count. Several Mammillarias, Rebutia and Gymnocalycium are so alike that it is only at flowering time that they can be correctly identified.

Looking on the internet or photographs in books is a poor substitute for handling or seeing the plant in situ. I have very little knowledge of large columnar cacti because they do not grow in England, but with a little detective work one can make an educated guess. If you go on the net try to look at as many different photographs as possible of the same species of plant, it is amazing how they can differ.

In particular columnar cacti can be extremely difficult to name correctly. Many seedlings have no resemblance to their parents (which reminds me I have a son like that. I’ll have to have a word with the post man) until they have reached a considerable height.

Plant hybridisation does occur in nature, but it is primarily conducted by nurserymen. This can also fool us when it comes to ID. There will be many plants around that are of mixed parentage. This is fine if it is done correctly and a new variety or form is produced. The new plant should be better than the original. Either more disease resistant, easier to grow or flower.

In the classification of cacti the Genus. (plural genera) is a grouping of similar, closely related and morphologically similar Species. Similarly, genera are grouped into families, families into orders, orders into classes, and classes into phyla or divisions.

The genus name is always written with a capital letter e.g. Gymnocalycium. The species name is always written in lower case e.g. buenkeri (Gymnocalycium buenkeri).

I have included this information because sometimes it is relatively easy to identify the Genus that a plant belongs to, i.e. Gymnocalycium, but virtually impossible to say which species, in this example buenkeri.

So having said all this do we now feel that trying to ID a plant is almost impossible. The answer to that is no of course it is not impossible but a few rules need to be adhered to. I made a wrong ID on the forum the other week, being convinced that a particular plant that Bob had put up for possible ID was Euphorbia canariensis. Was it carelessness on my part. Well in a way yes it was. I had not got all the facts and made a wrong assumption. The plant was not even a Euphorbia, it was in fact a cactus. Appearances can be deceptive.:oops:

Finally when making an ID, a flowering plant is always a bonus, and for those who post an ID query and do not get a reply it isn’t because none of us care. It’s because we don’t know. Everyone always has the consolation that at the end of the day we collect and are interested in cacti (not plant labels).

Hope this is of benefit to at least some of you, and I am sure I speak for Daiv when I say keep trying to ID plants, it's great fun and if your wrong this time next time you may well be right.

All the best, have to go the post man is here.
John
Last edited by templegatejohn on Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cactusbutt

Post by cactusbutt »

Hey John
Great post,as for the people who want an ID,
you should try to include all of your observations
of the plant you want to ID.
I did not do this :roll: i knew it was not
a Euphorbia because i had taken a cutting from
the plant prior to my help ID post and it had no
milky sap.
I failed to include this in my post.
Knowing this could have helped others Id my plant
(sorry John :oops:)

Bob
templegatejohn

Plant ID

Post by templegatejohn »

Thanks for the positive feed back Bob, it's much appreciated, and thanks for making the very important point that the more info people can give (a flower would be great, but I know is not always possible) the easier it becomes to identify a plant.

I think at this point that I should point out to anyone who reads this, that I do not consider myself an expert and would never profess to be one. I am here to learn from other people's experiences and I am picking up interesting tips and new knowledge all the time.

Cheers
John
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

John,
Once again you have inspired me! I'd like to publish your two articles under the "Technical" page of the site. Remember, I was thinking about giving up on that page, but the info you've wrote is perfect for it. I had in mind something much more complicated than it need be.

What do you think?

Daiv
templegatejohn

Technical Data Page

Post by templegatejohn »

Daiv,

If you think that they would be of help I would be more than happy for you to use them. I have one or two more ideas along those lines, but will think on them for a while.

John
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Very good. I'll add it to the site, I am going to write an article on grafting too, I think.
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

John, very good write up. It's the kind of information that I myself need being a newbie at IDing cacti. Seems I learn something new everyday on this board thus I keep coming back for more knowledge :)
I think at this point that I should point out to anyone who reads this, that I do not consider myself an expert and would never profess to be one.
:shock: Come on John, surely you jest. I consider you and daiv to be the top contenders on this board :wink:

Oh, on a side note. My postman is a woman so thats one less thing I have to worry about around my house :lol:

Bill
monrad

Post by monrad »

John,

Great article(or couple of articles)! I also am learning some great things from this site, thanks to people like John & Daiv and the others.

I would love for someone to take the time and write some thoughts on what they look for when IDing a cactus. I have been trying to ID with several different books I've bought or borrowed, and internet pictures, but I usually strike out on everything but the obvious ones :oops: . You guys astound me with your knowledge.

Thanks,
Mark
templegatejohn

Cactus ID

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi Mark,

I'm glad you liked the articles. I will try and come up with some tips for people who want to get better at the ID game when I get back from holiday, if I forget remind me.

In the meantime there is really no substitute for experience and by that I don't necessarily mean time, but seeing as many different plants as you can. If you have seen the plant in a real life situation it is much easier to ID it from a photograph.

You are obviously interested and that alone will help you to gain experience. After all I can't tell one bonsai from another. By the way the article you put up on the forum about Bonsai soil content was excellent and I recommend all you people who are interested in what your cacti sits in to read it. If you can't find it I'm sure Mark would be kind enough to put it up again.

Mark has made a good point all you cactus buffs. If you have some knowledge that you think might be useful to the rest of us, put it up on the site. We're all in this together.

All the best
John
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Good point on experience John.

It is similar to Trivia -it's easy if you know the answers. The trick is to keep familiar with the plants and be dilligent in trying to track down the correct plant. By doing this, you automatically get a reiview of the ones you know already. The process of elimination makes you familiar with all the species you've just eliminated.

I must admit that most of the plants that I struggled to ID at first and then later discovered the name where by accident. I would be strolling through a nursery or garden, flipping through a book, or cruising the web. Then I'll happen accross a plant and realize that's the same one I have that I can't pin down the name to.
Barefoot_Ted

Post by Barefoot_Ted »

Very good thread!!! \:D/

It has been a real pleasure hunting down cactus (and succulents) in my neighborhood and actually figuring out what they are.

I have learned a lot on this forum thanks to all of you. Thank you very much!

Best, Barefoot Ted