Pics of Propagator and Seedlings

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
ColdCactus

Pics of Propagator and Seedlings

Post by ColdCactus »

I haven't posted here in a while but just wanted to show off my newly built propagator and seedlings. I built the propagator, and it is roughly 3 x 4. It has two four foot flourescent fixtures, rigged with timers. More Information can be provided at request(apologies for the rather poor image quality, I currently do not have a close up lens):

Some of many seedlings:

Lithops bromfieldii

M. bombycina

Haworthia cooperi

M. longimamma

Haworthia cymbiformis

Discocactus placentiformis

Thelocactus tulensis

Discocactus crystallophilus

Cereus aethiops

Stapelia gigantea

Carnegia gigantea (too much light?)

Echinocactus grusonii

Echinopsis pachanoi

Extra treats:
Euphorbia obesa buds

Random Haworthia flower

I just planted another load of seeds. My prop can fit a max of around 60 pots. my questions:
I will be purchasing a hydrometer and thermometer soon to watch my humidity and temp., what temperature and humidity should I shoot for?
Should I worry about the temp/humidity?
Should I ventilate?
-Eli-
hob

Post by hob »

Eli ........a lot of them look on the red side :? i think that means too much light :?: can you cover the red ones with tissue or raise the lights in the box :?:

Ian is the expert on lights maybe he will see this and advise you.
incurable cactoholic
growing rebutia's with a mix of others.
iann

Post by iann »

Yes, they do look quite red, bit too much light. Doesn't look fatal but best to back off a little until they adapt. Maybe a couple less hours light, or lift the lights a little. The Lithops look good, I think they are just starting to shed the seed leaves?

Some species, and I think Saguaro is one of the, go really intense colours as seedlings but don't seem to mind too much. E. grusonii does this too.
--ian
peterb

Post by peterb »

Lookin' good! After germination and initial establishment (first two- three months or so), temps can be anything for a lot of species for the first year or so. The outdoor 5-8 month olds here with 115F days and 80F nights are loving it. Not recommended, probably, but still.

Not sure about humidity. I grow in a dry climate so I don't have any direct experience.

As for the red colors, I think the easiest fix would be 2-3 hours less light every day.

peterb
Zone 9
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Super propagator. Must be second only to Daryl's! :P
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti