The survivors!

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
Tom2643

The survivors!

Post by Tom2643 »

My poor Echinocereus triglochiadatus is looking a little worse for the wear so far this year. It got a pile of oak leaves frozen on its side, I'm hoping it outgrows the damage, its stopped getting worse at any rate.

Some small opuntia, I think it's a hybrid of fragilis and something else, it was unlabeled when i bought it. But its got a lot of new growth coming on it!

It's taken it about 5 years to get this big, when i got it it was 2 pads.

I did end up losing my agave, Escobaria leei, Pediocactus simpsonii, and Echinocereus triglochiadatus var white sands though. Heck I think i've even lost my yucca. My Echinocereus viridiflorus seems to be alive, though it did have a little bit of damage. As usually all my opuntia survived and even are starting to look nice! Now if only it would warm up above 70...

John P Weiser

Post by John P Weiser »

Good to hear from you.But sorry for your losses.But happy to hear you have growth taking place on your survivors. I guess you know now who the tough ones are.Especially with the winter and spring you had this year. :shock: I've been through the ups and downs of hardy cactus growing my self. Keep us posted. sierrarainshadow
Andy_CT

Post by Andy_CT »

Nice hybrid there. Most likely a polyacantha/fragilis hybrid, it looks very much like others on the market. You'd probably need a grenade to get damage on that one.
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

I tend to agree with Andy about a poly / frag hybrid.

I too have had some rounds finding good cold hardies. It can be a learning experience :wink:

Good to see you had some survivors and sorry about your losses.

No grenades allowed in my garden [-X My opuntiods spread fast enough without help. :lol:
Bill

If it sticks ya or pokes ya, I like it
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Tom,
They will be looking better and better over the next couple weeks. You appear to be about two weeks ahead of us up here. While I haven't been as attentive on the fourm, I have been taking pictures so that I can share with you all.

Daiv
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Sorry about the ones that didn't make it, but the survivors are looking good.
I need to find me some fragili!!!