Max's April 2008 seedlings batch

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Max

Max's April 2008 seedlings batch

Post by Max »

Hey! :)

Well, I should better only say "seeds" for the moment... But it will hopefully change soon enough!

So here is my most recent cacti seeds batch. I thought I could create a thread to show the results (if any :P).

On this picture, you can still see the lines in which I dropped the seeds (and many seeds themselves if you look close enough). As you can see, I used a correction tape to mark rows and columns... That's not so nice, but it works well and can be cleaned off very easily. The seeds themselves are close enough in my opinion, but that's the only container I had which would suit the purpose. (20 * 10 seeds in a 20 * 10 inches container.) I wasn't too sure about the soil... thought it was too organic, but I guess if I don't water them too much it should do the job for the germination until they are about an inch high. (Anyway, it was a succulent & cacti soil sold in a hardware store where I used to work, so if it really doesn't work, someone will hear from me... :evil: :P)

Here is the list of what species were sown in this container (total: 200 seeds):
Ariocarpus bravoanus (10)
Carnegiea gigantea (5)
Gymnocalycium berchtii (10)
Gymnocalycium damsii (10)
Gymnocalycium horstii (10)
Gymnocalycium kroenleinii (10)
Gymnocalycium mostii (10)
Gymnocalycium mucidum var. ferrarii (10)
Gymnocalycium platense (10)
Gymnocalycium spegazzinii (10)
Lophocereus schottii (5)
Mammillaria obscura (5)
Matucana intertexta (10)
Melocactus spp. (30)
Neoporteria odieri (5)
Polaskia chichipe (5)
Uebelmannia crebispina (10)
Uebelmannia flavispina (5)
Turbinicarpus booleanus (10)
pink & white mini (10)
easter lily cacti (Echinopsis/Lobivia) (10)

Not too sure about the two last... "pink & white mini" is for the 9th cactus in the identification thread (http://cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7572) which we are not sure of the ID.
For the last one, I guess someone could easily tell me what species it is by the keywords representing it...

I hope some of each species germinate... some can give nice enough plants and flowers! :)

That's about it for the moment, I'll give some updates as soon as something happens in this container! \:D/

Now, lets go sow some non-succulent seeds...

Later!
Max :thumbup:
lordarutha

Post by lordarutha »

Good luck with that Max. It will be interesting to see how so many different species get on in one big tray. :?
Paul.
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Bonjour Max!
Very nice list, not very common stuff. I like that ;)
I wish you good luck, keep us posted as they grow.