Plant Names

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
templegatejohn

Plant Names

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know a web site that gives the meaning of the names of cacti, (Etymology)? I know the odd site has one or two meanings, but I have not found anything comprehensive.

For example:
The generic name "Astrophytum" derives from the Greek words "astron", meaning a "star" and "phyton", meaning plant. ( The Genus name implies: "star plant").
For example: Astrophytum asterias

If it gave the Genus and species meaning that would be great
mavaz

Post by mavaz »

Hi Templegatejohn:

I have a book in spanish with a list of some etimological terms about cacti. Can be useful, but is in spanish. Let me know if youre interested and I can take it to the scanner and send you a digital file by email. There are 250 words and have name related to genus, species names and also terms related to morphology or taxonomy. But with a good list of names of genus and species.
Last edited by mavaz on Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

This would be another good reason to invest in Anderson's book. (I think you asked about that before.) He gives that sort of information for many names. That book is not the only resource on cacti you'll ever need, but I think it's essential.
eduart

Post by eduart »

Hi there!

Just discovered this one:
http://davesgarden.com/botanary/