Are these both Myrtillocactus geometrizans?

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Mike

Are these both Myrtillocactus geometrizans?

Post by Mike »

Hi,

I picked up a number of cactus at a moving sale, but not sure what some are. I think the first is M geometrizans, crested? What do you think.

The second has the shape of M geom. also, but is very thin, and grows more like a vine, and has 4 ribs. Even counting for the poor condition of some of the cacti, it seems very different than any geotrizans I have seen.sies? Any ideas
Thanks Mike
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi Mike,

You don't need me to tell you that neither of them are in the best of health at the moment. They seem to be suffering from a lack of nutrients, a good feed when the season and weather permit is a must. They are certainly lacking iron.

The first one could be a cristate Myrtillocactus it could also be Cereus peruvianus monstrose with the colouring it is at the moment it is difficult to tell.

I would say the second one is certainly not Myrtillocactus, but I am not sure what it is. Looks like an Aporocactus hybrid?

John
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Definately not Myrtillocactus.

I think "C. peruvianus monstrose" fits the bill on the top one. (Very common around LA)

The second may be a hybrid. Looks like a Selenicereus or Harrisia. Perhaps H. jusbertii?

See what you think down that path...
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Mike

Post by Mike »

I will take a look re the second. On the first, the spines look like geometrizans I have, not peruvianus. But I will do some looking. Mike
Mike A

Post by Mike A »

A friend of mine has a crested geomatrizans - and it doesn't look like this.

I'm with daiv on this one.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

After more thought, I am still convinced it is not M. geometrizans because of the depth of the ribs. M.g. is almost square in cross sections with the ribs only slightly indented. This plant clearly has deep furrows between ribs.

I know it is monstrose and therefore not true to form, but it appears the monstrosity is in the number of ribs and not the shape of the ribs. It looks like it wants to put ribs out all over the place.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi guys,

Well I agree neither is geometrizans.

The first may well be peruvianus monstrose or crested. Some pics on google were similar.

The second looks like Harissia pomanensis or jusberti (which according to Desert Tropical may be a cross bween H pomanensis and E. eyriesii.) Haven't checked out selenicereus yet.

Mike
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Yep, I'll bet that's it then and not Selenicereus.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi, the monstrose one at the top has a ton of moss on the surface of the dirt. Is it best to remove it, or does it matter. Mike
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi Mike,

Yes it should be removed, it is a sign of neglect and overwatering and the soil is probably sour. I would tip it out of the pot check the root system and then repot in new compost.

John
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi,

I was wondering if the vine like one above might be Acanthocereus tetragonus, rahter than harrisia. Looke similar on google, expecially the small baby at the bottom.
Mike
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi,

Re the tall sprwling one, I cut it back as it wasn't too healthy. Here is a flower, probably 7 inches long, hopefully will open tonite. May have to hit the books, but any ideas on what it might be. Suggestions above were Harissia and Selenicerus.

Mike

CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

I just spent a few mins looking at several Harrisia pics...none of which that i saw the chain-link type of growth from your plant. So i'm inclined to say Selenicereus. However, the Harrisia flowers have the large tube like shape yours does...

On a side note, i have what i beleive to be a Harrisia pomanensis punching out a bloom, it took a long time from a small bulb to a now 5-6" tube...it'll probably open in the next few days (not quite as far along as yours...but might help with the ID tho)

How is the cereus peruvianus doing now?
Mike

Post by Mike »

well it opened, the picture does not do it justice, it is really spectacular.

Darryl, will be intrigued to see yours, this flower seems closest to pomanensis in the New cactus Lexicon. As I recall, whenI googled it long ago, it seemed pretty variable. Mike

Tony

Post by Tony »

Hi Mike,
Your right, pictures dont do em justice.
It looks like it might be the same one I have here
the spination looks simular in the short stem you have there in the close up of the pot and plant.
You may still have to wait for the fruit to develope,Acanthocereus tetragonus fruit has spines,hylo does not.
Daiv sugested Hylocereus because of the fruit and the flower and I agree, but whitch one? Im still not sure :?
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony