Astrophytum myriostigma strange form

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
Antonio_P

Astrophytum myriostigma strange form

Post by Antonio_P »

I have this Astrophytum myriostigma that's developing this strange offset, or whatever it is, on top of what earlier was a flower. The flower dryed but never falled nor gave any fruit or seeds (That I've seen). The development of it is now what you can see in this photos:

It looks nor good nor bad, is just there... growing. Is it a crest? I don't know if I should do anything about it.

What do you think???
Tony

Post by Tony »

I would leave it on unless it looks like its going bad,
if its growing it could be a weird offset.
Is it all furry?
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
Antonio_P

Post by Antonio_P »

Tony, it's almost all this "woolly", although as you can see the spination of the earlier flower is still visible in some places.

It is so small (2,5cm) that that's mostly what the photos show. The first photo was taken in 08-June-2007 and the other 2 are from this morning!
stephen.prout@uk

Post by stephen.prout@uk »

have you ever seen on echinopsis a half flower half offset growing that might be what is going on there.
it should drop off soon if you save it you may get something strange.
seedlings make the world go round
redg408

Post by redg408 »

I found a pic of the same thing. Its says it is monstrose grow
http://public.fotki.com/PanosS/panos__s ... gma-6.html
Antonio_P

Post by Antonio_P »

Well... it may be a monstrose grow. That's the only thing that makes sense to me.

But to take it off... do you think I should graft it? Or wait until it's bigger enough to develop own roots?

Thank you for your help!
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Hey Antonio, neat growth! If it were my plant, I'd just let it grow and develop and see what it turns into.

By the way, that first picture really has me wondering. Is that Astro in a round pot or is the pot streatched out of shape by the plant? I'm trying to figure out if that is an illusion or not.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Antonio_P

Post by Antonio_P »

Daiv, in the first photo the Astro is in the original pot, so tight that it was taking the form of the plant :) . I repotted it immediatly.
ExtremeFlora

Post by ExtremeFlora »

Hello!

Looks like something pretty cool you have happening there. Maybe this is some type of FUKURYU(?).

I found this photo on the Web from a friend I buy cacti from in Thailand. This specimen is called astrophytum nudum tricostatum "fukuryu". Just Imagine how cool yours would be if something similar happen to your cactus!

Definitely worth keeping us posted please!

Thanks for sharing!
Brett and his 8-year old daughter Hadley grow cactus in the Washington, DC area. We are proud new members of the National Cactus & Succulent Society. We plan to take lots of photos and share our adventures on a new Web site coming soon in 2008!
Antonio_P

Post by Antonio_P »

Actualy something strange is hapening. Some kind of "wool" is developing in the new buds. The flowers are not growing nor opening... I gotta take a picture and post here.

Besides, my other astro myriostigma (grafted) is also developing this starange "wool"... I'm starting to confuse it with some desease... it's kinda strange...

I'll post a picture as soon as I can.