Anyone from/have visited/have stayed in Indonesia?

Post your non-cacti or non-succulent related posts here -some topics not allowed -see forum rules.
Wiandry Adi

Anyone from/have visited/have stayed in Indonesia?

Post by Wiandry Adi »

Is anyone here familiar with Indonesia (born there/have visited it/have stayed there for a certain amount of time)? Since this is in a 'Free For All' section, feel free to discuss/talk about your experiences in Indonesia/what you think about Indonesia (though for the latter one, keep it safe and complying to the forum's rules), like Indonesia's plant communities, vacation spots in Indonesia, or experiences with Indonesians.

Also, if you know Indonesian language, feel free to use it to me, formally or not (and with that, I request my permission to admin teams to let anyone in this forum to use Bahasa Indonesia). I'll do my best to translate every posts posted in Indonesian if required.

To start the conversation, I'll talk about cacti community in Indonesia:

When I discussed about cacti - and other succulents - most of my people will mention a place, a district to be specific: Bandung. Despite being a tropical highland region (which suits dragonfruit cactus more), Bandung is one of Indonesia's leading cacti and succulents producer, at least in the island of Java. I've seen succulent collectors all over Java, but Bandung is just in the highest league. Several region in Central Java dabbled with sansevierias, or snake plants, creating hybrids only few can name them all, and East Java dabbled with adeniums, desert roses, also creating varieties of flowers that will make your eyes bespectacled.

I've been purchased lots of cacti and succulents from Bandung, and I have mixed reviews; some of them live on, some of them perished. I knew that because most of the time, they are planted in a rather inappropriate potting mix consisting of compost - more manure and less humus, topsoil, and burnt rice hulls. Though after listening to them, it's kind of make sense (I mean, watering that much of plants can be seriously time and money-consuming, so it's best to let them sit on a water-retaining mix, but I certainly want to remind them to find better alternatives as it's not going to make cacti and succulents thrive well, something we all strive for).

That's from me, and I'll let anyone else add the conversation. Have fun, and nice to meet you!
Tropical region, summer all year long
12 hours of sunlight (shaded by 1 p.m.)
Rains often from September to February
24°C at night, 32°-34°C at evening
Mix: scoria, pumice, zeolite, bamboo humus, and kanuma
Fertilizing may vary
henrydavis

Re: Anyone from/have visited/have stayed in Indonesia?

Post by henrydavis »

Me. In 2013, I joined the 2nd Indonesia Cactus and Succulent Show. It's a memorable memory. It's in Jakarta, I don't remember well. However, I remember clearly shows here. There are many beautiful plants. I especially like a "cauliflower" ball shape. So beautiful.
Wiandry Adi

Re: Anyone from/have visited/have stayed in Indonesia?

Post by Wiandry Adi »

henrydavis wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:14 am Me. In 2013, I joined the 2nd Indonesia Cactus and Succulent Show. It's a memorable memory. It's in Jakarta, I don't remember well. However, I remember clearly shows here. There are many beautiful plants. I especially like a "cauliflower" ball shape. So beautiful.
Awesome! I remember I used to go to this event with my family and I met wonderful plant enthusiasts and deepen my plants' knowledge. I wish there'll be more events like this; there's just something exciting to see alien-like succulents in the flesh. It can also be a motivation to keep going with this hobby
Tropical region, summer all year long
12 hours of sunlight (shaded by 1 p.m.)
Rains often from September to February
24°C at night, 32°-34°C at evening
Mix: scoria, pumice, zeolite, bamboo humus, and kanuma
Fertilizing may vary