I am 45.If it is late to sow Ariocarpus seeds?

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
xiaohuage123

I am 45.If it is late to sow Ariocarpus seeds?

Post by xiaohuage123 »

I plan to buy some Ariocarpus seeds.But although they are very beautiful,But very slowly.So if it is late to sow them.I imagine that When I was 65.they might show the best condition.Maby ten years ago I SOW THEM :lol:
DaveW

Re: I am 45.If it is late to sow Ariocarpus seeds?

Post by DaveW »

David Quail, a grower in cold old UK, raised dozens of these supposed slow growing cacti from seed and regularly sold them. You should even manage the very slow growing Aztekium ritteri and flower it by the time you are 60!

He has just moved house and stopped selling I believe, but detailed his method here:-

https://www.living-rocks.com/quail.htm

https://www.living-rocks.com/quail2.htm

If you can't wait you can even seedling graft.

https://living-rocks.com/pereskiopsis.htm

https://living-rocks.com/index.htm
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Just sow! You will otherwise regret it when you are 55 and think "oh men, I should have sown some when I was ten years younger".

If you sow Ariocarpus kotschoubeyanus, you could have a flowering plant in 5 to 10 years. I got one after 8 years. In 10 years you are still not an old person that can't enjoy life anymore, not even in 20 years or maybe even in 30 years if you live healthy enough and don't have any bad luck. If you don't do it now you will regret it the same as you do now you haven't done something simple and basic like sowing when you were really a youngster.
Nino_G

Post by Nino_G »

Aiko wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:37 pm Just sow! You will otherwise regret it when you are 55 and think "oh men, I should have sown some when I was ten years younger".
I agree wholeheartedly! In my opinion it's never too late to sow. One can enjoy watching the tiny seedling grow just as much as majestic old specimens.
A_G_R

Post by A_G_R »

Not late at all! I'm 64 and still sowing some Ariocarpus, it's a joy to watch them grow and change throughout the seasons
Alejandro
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Aiko wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:37 pm If you sow Ariocarpus kotschoubeyanus, you could have a flowering plant in 5 to 10 years.
I need to correct this, I should have mentioned Ariocarpus agavoides.
Maybe A. kotschoubeyanus takes a bit longer (my flowering ones were a bit older, I believe).
keith

Post by keith »

No I don't think so I'm 63 and still sow cactus seeds including Ariocarpus. All my cactus grow slow but its still fun to watch them grow.

I started growing cactus from seed in 1994.
Tom in Tucson

Post by Tom in Tucson »

I remember reading once an assertion by the owner of Miles to Go (Miles Anderson) that it usually takes around 6 years for most Ariocarpus to reach flowering size from seed on their own roots. The biggest obstacle now seems to be acquiring accurately labeled seed. Before Mesa Garden changed ownership, several years ago, they sold 50-60 types of the known species.. They now only offer 3 types of A. retusus. Consequently I order most of mine from ADBLPS, which will still ship to the USA despite the CITES classification.
Aztekium123

Post by Aztekium123 »

After seeing the replies from my previous friends, I would like to say that it shouldn't be too late. I am 42 years old and started sowing in 2010. This year is already 2024, and over the years, I have successively sowed: Ariocarpus agavoides, Ariocarpus fissuratus, Ariocarpus kotschoubeyanus, Ariocarpus bravoanus,
Among them, Ariocarpus agavoides grows the fastest, while others bloom at the latest in the tenth year.
This gives me a great sense of achievement, and I am fortunate that I planted these varieties of plants many years ago. They bloom beautiful flowers every autumn.
I have been sowing AZTEKIUM in recent years, watching them grow up, and time will continue to condense essence into them. Make people feel happy both physically and mentally.
FredBW

Post by FredBW »

I am 63 and have recently started a couple batches from seed. As the saying goes " the best time to plant a tree was 10 years ago. The next best time is today!"
That being said. Miles to go has some nice young ones very reasonable. I bought a couple last year and I am getting ready to order a couple more.
xiaohuage123

Post by xiaohuage123 »

DaveW wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:26 am David Quail, a grower in cold old UK, raised dozens of these supposed slow growing cacti from seed and regularly sold them. You should even manage the very slow growing Aztekium ritteri and flower it by the time you are 60!

He has just moved house and stopped selling I believe, but detailed his method here:-

https://www.living-rocks.com/quail.htm

https://www.living-rocks.com/quail2.htm

If you can't wait you can even seedling graft.

https://living-rocks.com/pereskiopsis.htm

https://living-rocks.com/index.htm
yes!This texts are very musefull to me ,Very thanks to you.I
xiaohuage123

Post by xiaohuage123 »

Aiko wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:37 pm Just sow! You will otherwise regret it when you are 55 and think "oh men, I should have sown some when I was ten years younger".

If you sow Ariocarpus kotschoubeyanus, you could have a flowering plant in 5 to 10 years. I got one after 8 years. In 10 years you are still not an old person that can't enjoy life anymore, not even in 20 years or maybe even in 30 years if you live healthy enough and don't have any bad luck. If you don't do it now you will regret it the same as you do now you haven't done something simple and basic like sowing when you were really a youngster.
You encourage me.except Seeds I have bought some other necesarry,material today :lol:
xiaohuage123

Post by xiaohuage123 »

A_G_R wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:46 pm Not late at all! I'm 64 and still sowing some Ariocarpus, it's a joy to watch them grow and change throughout the seasons
I agree you opnion very much.I also like watch plants.
xiaohuage123

Post by xiaohuage123 »

keith wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:42 am No I don't think so I'm 63 and still sow cactus seeds including Ariocarpus. All my cactus grow slow but its still fun to watch them grow.

I started growing cactus from seed in 1994.
upload some plants you sew let us have a good look :D
xiaohuage123

Post by xiaohuage123 »

Aztekium123 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:31 am After seeing the replies from my previous friends, I would like to say that it shouldn't be too late. I am 42 years old and started sowing in 2010. This year is already 2024, and over the years, I have successively sowed: Ariocarpus agavoides, Ariocarpus fissuratus, Ariocarpus kotschoubeyanus, Ariocarpus bravoanus,
Among them, Ariocarpus agavoides grows the fastest, while others bloom at the latest in the tenth year.
This gives me a great sense of achievement, and I am fortunate that I planted these varieties of plants many years ago. They bloom beautiful flowers every autumn.
I have been sowing AZTEKIUM in recent years, watching them grow up, and time will continue to condense essence into them. Make people feel happy both physically and mentally.
let us have a look on your beautifull Ariocarpu