Gymnocalycium?

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
gillinger

Gymnocalycium?

Post by gillinger »

I thought at first this might be a Matucana of some description, but now leaning towards Gymnocalycium, possibly G. oehnanthemum. Or am I miles away?
Attachments
20230426_162437.jpg
20230426_162437.jpg (85.31 KiB) Viewed 1036 times
"Once in a while you can get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"
anttisepp

Re: Gymnocalycium?

Post by anttisepp »

G saglionis ))
gillinger

Post by gillinger »

Thank you. You're spot on as usual. I don't nnow how you do it! None of the photos on this site resemble my photograph. There's one on Llifle that looks vaguely similar but most of theirs are out of focus. ID of any plant is not easy!
"Once in a while you can get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

This species was among my first own seedlings long time ago. Still alive, very large, flowers and feel fine!
Vipassana

Post by Vipassana »

I would agree with G. saglionis, but at such a juvenile age, there is an outside chance it is also G. pflanzii. They are very hard to distinguish when young. When they flower though, it is quite obvious; pflanzii will have a red throat to the flower.
gillinger

Post by gillinger »

I'll keep a watch on the colour when it flowers. Thanks.
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

Pflanzii more "bald". Flower tube is more notable while saglionis has shortest among Gymnovalyciums flower tubes, "sitting" flowers, ball- shaped buds. This guy is saglionis, trust me 🙂