Rentokil crawling bug powder as a systemic?

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
RorBurg56

Rentokil crawling bug powder as a systemic?

Post by RorBurg56 »

Im not sure if this is better suited to the pests or cultivation forums, but those seemed to deal more with identifying pests/problems and growing techniques. I was informed a few years ago that this product was efficacious as a systemic for egg laying sucking insects and would not damage C/S roots. I am considering using a general systemic this autumn/prior to so wondered if anyone had used this as a systemic, or at all.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rentokil-PSA13 ... cx_mr_hp_d
Growing some succs and cacs in mid/coastal Scotland.
One Windowsill

Re: Rentokil crawling bug powder as a systemic?

Post by One Windowsill »

Permethrin is not systemic and the insect would have eat it or come into contact with it. Also dangerous for bees and cats.
HudsonLH

Post by HudsonLH »

Rorburg,

Acetamiprid is a systemic with good efficacy though I am not sure how widely available it is in Scotland. If you have an ongoing infestation permethrin is a decent choice but it is a contact insecticide.

H
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Seems it is permitted in the UK. Interesting that it is an ovicide since I don't think many are available in the UK from when we were in the EU who banned anything that worked, particularly if it killed bees if used outdoors. Most insecticides will kill the bugs but not always the eggs and as the bugs reproduce so quickly you have to usually treat the plant several time a year to catch those hatching from the unaffected eggs after the systemic action has worn off the plant.

"Acetamiprid is a neonicotinoid insecticide that works by antagonizing the nicotine acetylcholine receptors in the neural pathways. This causes interruption of brain signals throughout the insects body. Insects are affected within 30 minutes of treatment with excitement, then paralysis, and finally extermination. Acetamiprid is an ovicidal, larvicidal, and adulticidal, meaning it works at all stages of insect development. Insects are affected mainly by ingestion, and may be affected by some forms of contact as well. Acetamiprid is translaminar, meaning it protects both sides of a leaf surface."

Looks as though some of the pistol type sprayers like "Rose Clear" contain it as it has both a systemic (through the leaves) and contact action. Also available as granules for mixing for plunging or watering pots? If you get any stuff off EBAY always look at the postage or carriage charges in the smaller print since they can often make an apparently dearer one with free postage cheaper that a seemingly cheap one with expansive postage. However many of those listed you should be able to get at your local garden centre or hardware stores.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... 587aec4a92
RorBurg56

Post by RorBurg56 »

Thank you for the responses guys. I have been pretty hesitant to use anything that would adversely effect pollinators but usually they stay in the garden full of flowers rather than the gh. I have only tried a bar soap and neem solution as a systemic before to try and discourage a species of thrip from feeding and to try and break up their breeding cycle, which worked over a few courses but slowly and with recursions. It seems I may have another small population of something leaving thriplike glitter, tar-faeces etc but as of yet havent seen anything in action. I will have a look at the acetamiprid products and have a think. Most pollinators stay in the garden where there is a banquet of flowers so in theory the gh plants are fairly isolated from them. Just want peace of mind from the idea of overwintering pests within substrate etc. Likely going to clean off all staging too as I was going to try insulating the gh relatively soon.
HudsonLH

Re: Rentokil crawling bug powder as a systemic?be

Post by HudsonLH »

Rorburg,

I would not use neem unless I had no choice - it has comparable efficacy to systemics but only in trials conducted in controlled environments. It is also not effective as a contact. If you are worried about pollinators a screen door/window may be what you need.

If you use soap please make sure it is suitable for horticultural use.

H
RorBurg56

Post by RorBurg56 »

Hey Hudson, the neem+soap was used before mostly because we had cold pressed neem and my partner makes soap so has pure soap base. Also it was for outdoor plants. Its works "ok".