Need advice on potting large totem pole cactuses

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
cerclerouge

Need advice on potting large totem pole cactuses

Post by cerclerouge »

Hi all, this is my first post here.

I have two large totem pole cactuses (Pachycereus Schottii Monstrosus) that I'm about to receive from Etsy. One is fat as hell as the other is pretty tall.

They come bare rooted. I've never really replanted a cactus before, I usually keep them in the pots they come in.

Some questions:

I have several pots of different sizes. I'd like to err on the side of a smaller pot rather than larger. What size would be good for these?

Am I dreaming to think that the taller one will be able to stand up on its own without a pole assisting it? The seller said that that photo was taken a few months ago, and it no longer needs the pole.

I have Miracle-Gro Cactus Palm and Citrus soil, and also a large bag of tiny sifted pumice. What's the best combo to use to make sure the soil is right?

Thank you for the help!

mikethecactusguy

Re: Need advice on potting large totem pole cactuses

Post by mikethecactusguy »

Hi
Dump the Miracle Grow. The worse cactus soil made. Where do you live? Go to a local nursery and buy one of the cactus Mixes they sell. They will be 100 times better than the Miracle Grow.
Mike M
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
cerclerouge

Post by cerclerouge »

mikethecactusguy wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 4:48 pm Hi
Dump the Miracle Grow. The worse cactus soil made. Where do you live? Go to a local nursery and buy one of the cactus Mixes they sell. They will be 100 times better than the Miracle Grow.
Mike M
I live in NYC. Thanks, I'll do that. Any advice about keeping them upright and what size pot I need?
mikethecactusguy

Post by mikethecactusguy »

I use terra cotta myself. It already has a good weight to it and that helps to counter balanced against taller plants from tipping over.
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

With taller Cerei the potting rules for globular cacti usually go out the window and I have found they are usually gross feeders anyway. You need a pot large enough which when filled with your potting soil will counterbalance the height of the plant and not fall over in the slightest breeze. As to holding it until rooted you may need a pole in it with the plant tied to it at first until its roots anchor it again.
cerclerouge

Post by cerclerouge »

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Should I water right away once they get into the new soil?
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Give them at least a week, so the roots can heal any damage, before watering.
Spence :mrgreen: