How to safely wash/disinfect used plasticpots?

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
Mrs.Green

How to safely wash/disinfect used plasticpots?

Post by Mrs.Green »

Being a bit frugal (at least in some ways.. :D ) I don’t like the idea of just bin used pots. But on the other hand I am afraid of transmitting unseen bugs/eggs from one plant to another by re-using pots. If I soak the pots in warm soapy water for several days, wouldn’t that kill bugs/eggs? The bugs I am thinking of are RSM and mealies , over and underground sorts.
One Windowsill

Re: How to safely wash/disinfect used plasticpots?

Post by One Windowsill »

That is what I do. Give them a good scrub so that you can't see any crusty stuff then soak for a few days in soapy water.

I have seen people saying that they boil B.E.F. pots but that will not work for most pots, I think.

Some people use dilute hydrogen peroxide to irritate the pests even more. I haven't had anything visible on mine for over a year so I don't bother.
7george

Post by 7george »

I often use vinegar for 1 day soaking as well, this removes carbonates (salts') build up.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
ARIO speedwagon

Post by ARIO speedwagon »

I usually make a dilute bleach/warm water mix and soak them, then neutralize with a mixture of water and vinegar
"Oh, Time, Strength, Cash, and Patience!"

Zone 7b
hiawog

Post by hiawog »

I also scrub with a diluted bleach solution
keith

Post by keith »

I just scrub them with water and then let them dry out. Soap or bleach is probably a good idea if you have root mealie bugs I just toss those ones . White patches on inside walls. I have used bleach back in the day when I battled root mealie bugs . And toss the soil.
Download

Post by Download »

I spray things down with a bleach (sodium hypochlorite) solution. I suspect that will kill eggs, though I've only used it to kill mould, algae and fungus.
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

I use a 1 part unscented household bleach (usually around 5-6%) to 19 parts water to soak living aquatic plants to kill algae on them. The soak period varies depending on the plant between 3-4 minutes. Then they get rinsed in fresh water, and soaked in a solution of chlorine neutralizer for a few minutes. If you have crystal sodium thiosulfate, that is the cheapest way. Then rinse off the chlorine neutralizer in fresh water. Replant.

You could use the same solution on your pots. But you would not have to worry about the chlorine neutralizer. Rinsing is fine.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

Thank you all for for your replies :) I have soaked the pot for more than a weak,first in hot soapy water ( changed several times) and then bleach and hot water. Hopefully that treatment have killed possible bugs.