Identification of 3 Cacti

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
89shoman666

Identification of 3 Cacti

Post by 89shoman666 »

Good Evening,
I am looking for some advise from the experts on this forum to help me identify these cacti. Hopefully it's a simple endeavor, and I truly appreciate everyones time:

1. I have owned many Columnar Cacti over the years, but none with this exact color make up, or the especially small spines. They are also extremely heavy for their given size. I used to have many San Pedro Cacti and for its size these are over double the weight and seem to grow much slower.
Columnar_1.jpeg
Columnar_1.jpeg (38.67 KiB) Viewed 1431 times
Columnar_2.jpeg
Columnar_2.jpeg (62.06 KiB) Viewed 1431 times
2. Is this a variety of Cephalocereus senilis? I was able to acquire this from a friend who said it was very old. It is approximately 6" in diameter at the base.
Old_Man_1.jpeg
Old_Man_1.jpeg (87.1 KiB) Viewed 1431 times
Old_Man_2.jpeg
Old_Man_2.jpeg (75.52 KiB) Viewed 1431 times
3. Does anyone know what sub species of opuntia this is? It is cold tolerant as it lives outdoors in South Central PA. I planted it all around my house and they have become very thick, almost wood/tree like at the bases.
Opuntia_1.jpg
Opuntia_1.jpg (129.84 KiB) Viewed 1431 times
Opuntia_2.jpeg
Opuntia_2.jpeg (55.33 KiB) Viewed 1431 times
greenknight

Re: Identification of 3 Cacti

Post by greenknight »

The first one is easy - Pachycereus marginatus.
Spence :mrgreen:
nona

Post by nona »

1. Pachycereus marginatus
2. Oreocereus celsianus
3. Opuntia (a spineless variety by the look of it)

This will be my last posting/contribution to CactiGuide for the reasons I gave Admin.
I'm sorry to be leaving but find myself incompatible with its newfound policies.
89shoman666

Post by 89shoman666 »

Thank you very much for your help!

Sorry to hear you are leaving, people willing help others grow in their knowledge to benefit there hobby is becoming a lost personality trade.

Thanks again to you both. :D
89shoman666

Post by 89shoman666 »

Would anyone know which exact variety of Opuntia? I want to know exactly how cold tolerant they should be. They’re out doors year round, about 2ft from my house foundation.

Thanks for everyone’s help!
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Admin is the person who decides policy Nona, therefore you should get in touch with Daiv as he is the one who decides before you leave. The Moderators are only here to carry out what is decided and try and remove spam if detected. It is difficult balancing complaints of excessive identification posting versus not being able to post enough, therefore the aim is to finish up with the best compromise, whatever that may be. With feedback to the administrator hopefully policy will come to suit the majority. Anyway thanks for all your previous posts.
7george

Post by 7george »

89shoman666 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:11 pm Would anyone know which exact variety of Opuntia? I want to know exactly how cold tolerant they should be. They’re out doors year round, about 2ft from my house foundation.

To give you an exact answer we have to know the exact origin of the plant or to make a DNA analysis. Looks like O. robusta or O. ficus-indica to me. Reported to be cold hardy to about -5 C.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
Download

Post by Download »

7george wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:14 am
89shoman666 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:11 pm Would anyone know which exact variety of Opuntia? I want to know exactly how cold tolerant they should be. They’re out doors year round, about 2ft from my house foundation.

To give you an exact answer we have to know the exact origin of the plant or to make a DNA analysis. Looks like O. robusta or O. ficus-indica to me. Reported to be cold hardy to about -5 C.
I'm doubtful it's robusta; wrong colour and the paddles are not round enough. My money would be on a spineless ficus indica cultivar.

Edit: wrong colour flowers too. O robusta has yellow flowers, not red.
7george

Post by 7george »

Download wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:35 am ....

I'm doubtful it's robusta; wrong colour and the paddles are not round enough. My money would be on a spineless ficus indica cultivar.

Edit: wrong colour flowers too. O robusta has yellow flowers, not red.
Can be O. tomentosa or their hybrid with O. ficus-indica as well.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8