Pupping question

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
nona

Pupping question

Post by nona »

I have two Soehrensia bruchii bought at the same time as 5-7 cm plants. Both have grown very well in the two years since - albeit one is bigger/rounder and the other more columnar. The latter has started to produce pups at the base while the other remains solitary. Both are in 14 cm pots with scoria chunk dressing. I noticed the one with pups had been planted somewhat higher in the pot with the result the base was more exposed. My question is whether that would have encouraged the pupping - or is it just a case of individual plant genetics?
greenknight

Re: Pupping question

Post by greenknight »

Most likely just genetics. Pups will often form below the surface, whether the base of the cactus is exposed or not makes no difference.
Spence :mrgreen:
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

I agree with Spence, just like humans plants are individuals with their own genetics, therefore some may offset earlier than others and some may flower younger. The problem can be in commerce where dealers uses an untypical freely offsetting plant for propagation because it is easier to root offsets than grow from seed, therefore the market gets flooded with these untypical examples (clones) of the species.
nona

Post by nona »

Thanks for the replies. Come to think of it I've been guilty of removing pups and replanting - making me part of the problem #-o
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

Maybe "more columnar" one isn't pure bruchii but it has some hybrid genes from eg Trichocereus, that's why early proliferation.
You'll be sure when both plants will flower.
nona

Post by nona »

anttisepp wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:07 am Maybe "more columnar" one isn't pure bruchii but it has some hybrid genes from eg Trichocereus, that's why early proliferation.
You'll be sure when both plants will flower.
Good point - no reason to believe they came from the same seed pod. 'Columnar' may have been an exaggeration. It's growth was a little slower and perhaps hasn't fattened as a consequence. Overall growth though has been impressive - not unlike some trich's!
P2250052.JPG
P2250052.JPG (98.65 KiB) Viewed 1464 times
P2250051.JPG
P2250051.JPG (110.36 KiB) Viewed 1464 times
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

Nice plants, nona. To tell true I don't see remarcable difference. Both need much more volume for roots and as food as water in warm season. It's huge plant in habitat. Sometimes (flat)round plants grow in columnar shape cause of very small pot.

http://www.cactusinhabitat.org/index.ph ... id=23&l=en
Attachments
s_bruchii.jpg
s_bruchii.jpg (156.85 KiB) Viewed 1458 times
nona

Post by nona »

anttisepp wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:58 am Both need much more volume for roots and as food as water in warm season. It's huge plant in habitat.
Yes, and its relative Soehrensia formosa. Had to repot this season as they'd outgrown original pots. For now keeping them outdoors in pots as they grow better than in ground (better nutrients I guess).
Sometimes (flat)round plants grow in columnar shape cause of very small pot.
Thanks. Will keep that in mind.

Here's a video folks may enjoy showing what I suspect are hybrid Soehrensia (formosa?)
https://youtu.be/EC374UTyDs8?t=121
nona

Post by nona »

FWIW I found a photo dated 12/2018 showing the two plants (labelled Lobivia bruchii) in 6cm pots when I received them. So 2 years growth.
2018_12060005.jpg
2018_12060005.jpg (65.99 KiB) Viewed 1425 times
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

My two headed one is in the greenhouse centre bed. I have had it since the 1960's and the heads are about soccer ball size. It flowers freely every year and has stood below freezing temperatures.

bruchii.jpg
bruchii.jpg (117.76 KiB) Viewed 1406 times

As Nona says they grow much faster with free root run since growing in pots is a bit like Bonsai-ing them.