Growing Echeveria from seed: Any tips?

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Seasucc

Growing Echeveria from seed: Any tips?

Post by Seasucc »

Hello from a long time lurker and new member of the community :hello2:
I have recently started experimenting with growing Echeveria from seed and am curious if anyone in this community has any experience with doing the same and if so, what worked best for you to get your seeds to germinate? I so far have about eight out of about fifty seeds that have sprouted and it’s been about two and half weeks.
I find that there are many different methods individuals use to get their seeds to germinate and flourish and I’m just curious what yours might be.
Last edited by Seasucc on Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

“ I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
Shane

Re: Growing Echeveria from seed: Any tips?

Post by Shane »

I've only tried to grow one Crassulaceae from seed (a Dudleya species). I used that baggie method and no seeds germinated. Curious to here what method you used
Los Angeles, California (USA)
Zone 10b (yearly minimum temperature 1-5° C)

Fishhook cacti are like cats, they only like to be petted in one direction
Seasucc

Re: Growing Echeveria from seed: Any tips?

Post by Seasucc »

Interesting! And good to know.
I actually decided to experiment with a few of the methods that popped up most frequently in searches.
I have eight 4” planters filled with a gritty mix of about 40-40-20 poultry grit, perlite and Foxfarm ocean forest soil that I bottom watered to saturation before I put any seeds in. I have these placed in a clear plastic container with a clear plastic lid and have a grow light overhead that’s about 2 feet distance . Temps have been ranging between 68-75 Fahrenheit, humidity anywhere between 50-80%.
So far the planter that I scattered seeds on the top soil then covered with a very thin layer of fine sand has the most sprouts, and the planter that I put no sand in at all has a couple.
The other two have sprouted from a planter which I mixed seeds into sand first then pinched that mix on top of the soil and one from a planter I did the same then sprinkled a small amount of extra sand on top.
I should also note that since the first sprouts emerged I’ve been making it a point to take the lid off of the container they’re in to let them get some air. Not sure if this has made much of a difference however I did notice that once I started doing this the last two sprouts came up quickly.
One thing I do know with certainty is that it’s hard to say for sure what’s actually working best. :lol: But honestly, I’d be happy if just one of them makes it. Either way, I’m having fun with it :)

“ I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”