Dilemma about baggie method: Poke holes before to use or after to open

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
yonnoy

Dilemma about baggie method: Poke holes before to use or after to open

Post by yonnoy »

Hello, I am confused about when poke holes in the base of containers when I use baggie method. Some people say to poke holes after opening the bags, and other people say to poke holes before using the bags.

What is the best moment to poke holes in the base of containers in baggie method, how many and how big (in mm)?

I suppose that I need to enlarge the holes after open it.
Last edited by yonnoy on Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
esp_imaging

Re: Dilemma about baggie method: Poke holes before to use or after to open

Post by esp_imaging »

The 2 main purposes of the baggie method are to excluding fungi and dangerous organisms once a (semi) sterile germinating and growing environment had been established, and to maintain a high humidity level.

Poking holes in the bags before use therefore seems totally pointless.

It usually doesn't seem to matter whether the removal from the bag is done suddenly by totally removing the bag or more gradually by first poking holes (or partially removing a lid for those people who use plastic containers). Just remember that the pots will need watering, possibly quite often, once no longer sealed.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
RichR

Post by RichR »

I've never had a problem with just opening the bag and taking the pot out. There is no benefit that I can see to gradually opening the bag.
samhain

Post by samhain »

The holes need to be in the container prior. Condensation will leave you with plenty of water outside the container. Big enough for water to travel through, small enough to still be a container.
15F-110F. 14” annual rainfall. 8b. 3000’