Lithops

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
Diana

Lithops

Post by Diana »

Hello,
I would like to ask you for some advice. Recently a got a little Lithops. I put them out, in a sunny spot, but the roof was down, so they were getting undirect, filtered sunlight. After few days, I put the roof up and went shopping (forgot to put it down). When I came back about 3 pm, the plant looked rather bad. Well, first of all, there was water all over it, as it was trying to water itself, secondly, there were sun burned marks. I thought, that it got badly sunburned, so my first idea was so pour water over it. And so I did it... now, 2 days later, the plant is all shrinked, as if it got overwatered plus it is just soft, very soft. I do not think there will be a way to save it, I honestly think I stressed it out and killed it. :( Really sad and feeling guilty about it! But anyway... I decided to try again, run back to Garden Centre and got 2 more, they are small, so put them in the same pot. Started also reading a lot about Lithops, I really like them, they migh be one of my favourties. Decided to keep this one inside, near the window (I am afraid of sunburn again!) and now some questions to you guys. Will they be happy indoors? Is there anything I especially need to know about this plant? I read, that I should only water them in some periods and very rarely? Please advise! :roll: :D
Photo of the new plant attached.
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (68.63 KiB) Viewed 1956 times
Jangaudi

Re: Lithops

Post by Jangaudi »

looks like pleiospilos or something, not lithos, though both are mesembs. Plants indeed need very little water, except a bit during spring / fall. Your old lithops or other mesembs could be going into summer dormancy, unless they are rotting of course.
samhain

Post by samhain »

I water mine a few times a year, inside on a window. Have tried putting them outside and they were scorched and lost in no time.
15F-110F. 14” annual rainfall. 8b. 3000’
Diana

Post by Diana »

Thank you for your answers. :)

Wow, only few times a year? I water most of my succulents once a week. Good to know, thank you!
Sun_Love

Post by Sun_Love »

They are really cute. I got some as well a few weeks ago. They actually sold them as Lithops. If you google for Split Rock you'll find tons of text and video about care :)
Here are mine.. they are in a southern windowsill, seems to work fine. I'm in Scandinavia so the sun isn't very strong though.
Attachments
20200711_130705.jpg
20200711_130705.jpg (97.34 KiB) Viewed 1910 times
Diana

Post by Diana »

Sun_Love wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:53 pm They are really cute. I got some as well a few weeks ago. They actually sold them as Lithops. If you google for Split Rock you'll find tons of text and video about care :)
Here are mine.. they are in a southern windowsill, seems to work fine. I'm in Scandinavia so the sun isn't very strong though.
Wow, yours also look amazing. I live in Italy, so the sun gets quite strong, I think this is why from now on I will never put them outside. I decided to put them next to the window facing east, they get morning sun and for now they are living the happy life of lithops, hopefully it will stay this way. :roll: :D