Where to purchase Matucana madisoniorum seeds?

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Mas_

Where to purchase Matucana madisoniorum seeds?

Post by Mas_ »

Does anyone know where I can get good quality Matucana madisoniorum seeds in the uk? I purchased some from worldWondersGardens but only one germinated and then later died :( I can't seem to find them anywhere where they are reasonably priced.
Thanks
bartab

Re: Where to purchase Matucana madisoniorum seeds?

Post by bartab »

Seems like the BCSS board would be a better place to start. But I believe Mesa Garden will ship to the UK.
Mas_

Post by Mas_ »

Thanks for your reply! I looked into Mesa garden but shipping to the uk was £11
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Try seedsmen's links in Cactus Mall. Some may now be dead links but you can import seed from abroad and most take PayPal to overcome changing currencies.

http://www.cactus-mall.com/seeds.html
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

ADBLPS is a source I can highly recommend. Low postal charges from France, fast respons, a huge seed list and reasonable prices.

The list mentioned on https://adblps-graines-cactus.com/commander_EN.html was originally published last November, but at the looks of it there should still be seeds left of Matucana madisoniorum.
Mas_

Post by Mas_ »

Thanks Dave I'll definitely look into it! I've actually had a look at seedsCactus.com which seemed really promising and had a large variety but shipping to the uk was nearly £!0 :(
Mas_

Post by Mas_ »

Thanks Aiko! I've just checked the list a Matucana Madisoniorum is still available but i've never purchased seeds via seed list. Do I just email them telling them which seeds I want? Also do you happen to know how much shipping to the UK is and if the seeds are fresh/ good quality?
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Mas_ wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:09 am Do I just email them telling them which seeds I want?
Yes. You can email the excel file (or probably an email text message is fine too).
Mas_ wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:09 am Also do you happen to know how much shipping to the UK is and if the seeds are fresh/ good quality?
The excel file gives you the answer.
In an envelope it is only 1.50 euro. That is fine if you don't order a lot of seeds (say, less than 20 species). You can also choose a box, which increase postal charges. But I have never done this.

Just give it a go! And you might as well order some other interesting species. And why not order multiple of the Matucana. If they fail, you will have more to give it a retry next year.
mcdieimp

Post by mcdieimp »

Pereskiopsisdotcom

Post by Pereskiopsisdotcom »

Mas_ wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:09 am Thanks Aiko! I've just checked the list a Matucana Madisoniorum is still available but i've never purchased seeds via seed list. Do I just email them telling them which seeds I want? Also do you happen to know how much shipping to the UK is and if the seeds are fresh/ good quality?
Just going to second what Aiko wrote. ADBLPS gave great quality seeds and very reasonable prices. It took a couple of months to get to Canada but was ordered during the holiday season.
http://pereskiopsis.com

Interests include: Rhipsalis, Turbinicarpus, Gymnocalycium, and Lophophora.
Mas_

Post by Mas_ »

Aiko wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:27 am
Mas_ wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:09 am Do I just email them telling them which seeds I want?
Yes. You can email the excel file (or probably an email text message is fine too).
Mas_ wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:09 am Also do you happen to know how much shipping to the UK is and if the seeds are fresh/ good quality?
The excel file gives you the answer.
In an envelope it is only 1.50 euro. That is fine if you don't order a lot of seeds (say, less than 20 species). You can also choose a box, which increase postal charges. But I have never done this.

Just give it a go! And you might as well order some other interesting species. And why not order multiple of the Matucana. If they fail, you will have more to give it a retry next year.
Thanks so much for all your help! I'll definitely give them a try :D
Mas_

Post by Mas_ »

Pereskiopsisdotcom wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:46 pm
Mas_ wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:09 am Thanks Aiko! I've just checked the list a Matucana Madisoniorum is still available but i've never purchased seeds via seed list. Do I just email them telling them which seeds I want? Also do you happen to know how much shipping to the UK is and if the seeds are fresh/ good quality?
Just going to second what Aiko wrote. ADBLPS gave great quality seeds and very reasonable prices. It took a couple of months to get to Canada but was ordered during the holiday season.
Yeah I just checked the list and they have a great variety too. Thanks for the help! :D
Mas_

Post by Mas_ »

mcdieimp wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:00 am https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Matucana-Mad ... ect=mobile

Germinated okay for me.
I purchased these exact same seeds, from the same exact seller and only 1 germinated and then later died :( How did they germinate for you and which method did you use?
Shane

Post by Shane »

I had good luck with M. madisoniorum seed I purchased from Phoenix Desert Nursery earlier this year. They list them under the genus "Submatucana"
Los Angeles, California (USA)
Zone 10b (yearly minimum temperature 1-5° C)

Fishhook cacti are like cats, they only like to be petted in one direction
mcdieimp

Post by mcdieimp »

Mas_ wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:02 am
mcdieimp wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:00 am https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Matucana-Mad ... ect=mobile

Germinated okay for me.
I purchased these exact same seeds, from the same exact seller and only 1 germinated and then later died :( How did they germinate for you and which method did you use?
Wasn't the highest rate but all seedlings have made it to month six and still look like they're growing. First repotting is when I worry most.