Ferocactus

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
cactushobbyman

Ferocactus

Post by cactushobbyman »

This cactus is open pollenated seed grown from my seeds. The issue is, can this be a hybrid. I have Ferocactus or Thelocactus hamatacanthus, and other Ferocactus, but it lacks the extra long spines of the hamathacanthus. The flower is the same as well as the body. Just lacking the extra long hook spines.
three inch pot
three inch pot
c.jpg (50.14 KiB) Viewed 424 times
three inch pot
three inch pot
a.jpg (43.64 KiB) Viewed 424 times
8)
Aloinopsis

Re: Ferocactus

Post by Aloinopsis »

Spine length and thickness vary based upon the amount of sunlight, the plant's genetics, plant age, and its overall health. Spine length or thickness is less useful for cactus ID than spine configuration and number.
Russell99

Re: Ferocactus

Post by Russell99 »

cactushobbyman wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 2:28 pm This cactus is open pollenated seed grown from my seeds. The issue is, can this be a hybrid. I have Ferocactus or Thelocactus hamatacanthus, and other Ferocactus, but it lacks the extra long spines of the hamathacanthus. The flower is the same as well as the body. Just lacking the extra long hook spines.

c.jpg

a.jpg

8)
Hi, I think you may be right to call it a hybrid. I have a thelocactus setispinus, it has long spines and most importantly it cannot be self pollinated(I have tried many times with no success. So I decided to buy a new plant to cross polinate. The plant was fat with short spines. And this plant self pollinates and produces viable seeds. Thelocactus setispinus- cannot be self pollinated. The new plant(hybrid)- self pollinates without any problem. Plus this hybrid flowers don't fully open, just half way .