Los Angeles Rains & Cold

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
mikethecactusguy

Los Angeles Rains & Cold

Post by mikethecactusguy »

So how is everyone handling the current rain and cold conditions. It got down to 38 degrees in my backyard. I have not seen any cold damage yet. As for rain damage, that usually shows up as the plants dry out. I'm hoping to not loose anything since spring has sprung and we did get afternoon sunshine.
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
Steve Johnson

Re: Los Angeles Rains & Cold

Post by Steve Johnson »

theclosetguy wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:13 pm So how is everyone handling the current rain and cold conditions. It got down to 38 degrees in my backyard. I have not seen any cold damage yet. As for rain damage, that usually shows up as the plants dry out. I'm hoping to not loose anything since spring has sprung and we did get afternoon sunshine.
I've had the front of my portable greenhouses on since the rains finally came about a week ago, so they'll stay on until our current weather pattern rains itself out next week. Here's my local 14-day forecast from the Time and Date website:

https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/@z-us-90018/ext

The weekend of 3/28-29 looks promising, so if that forecast holds up, it'll be time to give the collection its first deep drench of the growing season. About time, too!
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
mikethecactusguy

I am lucky that the 3 Shelving units I have get shielded a bit from the rain since there is a deck above. They still do get some rain.
My concern is for all my larger potted plants. The 30 and 40 lb ones. Those that can not be moved out of the rain. I also have some older specimens that are showing stress. We will see what happens.
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
bartab

Post by bartab »

Its cold up north near San Francisco as well. I don't see any hope of watering until early April, but still not sure about that. It dropped to 34*f the other night and had to bring quite a few indoors for the evening. I did water quite a few plants a couple of weeks ago during a warm spell, but all the others have to be awfully thirsty. I am immune suppressed and not going anywhere. That will give me plenty of time to take care of cactus once it warms up.
Shane

Post by Shane »

I put plastic bins over my cacti. It's a pain and only helps some. I need a better setup. For the big ones, I put containers to catch the rain on the soil. It's not perfect, but reduces watering by 70% maybe. I just let it rain on all my succulents (except winter resting ones of course)

As far as cold damage, a prior cold spell this season took care of my cold sensitive plants
Los Angeles, California (USA)
Zone 10b (yearly minimum temperature 1-5° C)

Fishhook cacti are like cats, they only like to be petted in one direction
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

In the Valley, let it rain. It's been so dry this winter the 1.5 inches of rain last week was just what the plants needed. This week more rain and let it come. I loose less cactus outside than I do in the greenhouse. A lot of cactus have been flowering already, just a bit early. 8)
keith

Post by keith »

I put new plastic over my benches. I spent more money and got UV resistant plastic. I want to keep water off the old dried flower buds that's were mold can start and infect the whole plant. Plus its time to start getting warmer the plastic will help with that. I have already watered all the cactus about a month ago when it was really dry. Supposed to rain today and off and on all week.
keith

Post by keith »

New plastic on benches. One side and top completely covered the other side I leave a gap so it doesn't get too hot. I remove it in the summer and fall.
Summer is plenty hot and Fall has wind all the time.
Attachments
UV plastic
UV plastic
IMG_3923.JPG (70.47 KiB) Viewed 1531 times
Aloha916

Post by Aloha916 »

My solution isn't great but it gets me lots of exercise! I have to move my plants around indoors/outdoors as I have no greenhouse.
Last edited by Aloha916 on Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bartab

Post by bartab »

Sounds familiar! Rain later on so under the umbrella for now. So far I use two tables. It makes for a lot of trips on the real cold nights.
Attachments
EABC3575-9732-4049-BBE6-22B1FC7E72AC.jpeg
EABC3575-9732-4049-BBE6-22B1FC7E72AC.jpeg (201.68 KiB) Viewed 1519 times
mikethecactusguy

The rains and water is not what worries me, its the cold. A few days below 32 and i lose one to freeze damage. I lost 3 plants already.
I moved my Melocactus 2 months ago into my office with the Plant Lights.
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

I enjoy comparing notes with my fellow Californians, so thanks to everyone here for chiming in. Not sure about the rest of California, but it looks like the rain here in SoCal will be clearing out Thursday. Here's the latest 14-day forecast for L.A. courtesy of the Time and Date website:

https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/@z-us-90018/ext

The local 7-day National Weather Service forecast here at Casa de Jefferson Park shows a low of about 50 on Friday night, then 70 and sunny on Saturday. My portable greenhouses are good heat-trappers even with fronts off, so the collection should be getting plenty of warmth through at least the first week of April. Next weekend might be a good time to kick off the growing season with deep watering, although I need to see overnight lows in the 50s before I make that decision. It's helpful to have a good outdoor thermometer that records lows and highs, so once the overnight lows look good, a whole bunch of thirsty cacti will get the drench they need. By the way, it's always fun to watch them go from winter shriveling to spring plumping after they get their first soak of the year.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
Cactipack

Post by Cactipack »

Hello fellow southern Californians! I was planning on deep watering Tuesday because the rain is forecasted to stop then but I saw that on Thursday night it is going to drop down to 47F at night. I suppose I'll wait until Friday but am worried since my cacti haven't had a drink for 5 weeks.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

47F that's tropical! as long as it stays above about 40F at night you should be OK. Mine have not had a drink in the UK for 5 months since I stop watering end of September and have only just started watering again.
keith

Post by keith »

In California this time of year if your cactus are dry AND its forecast to get sunny in a few days you could let the rain water them for you .

Rain water is the best. Its supposed to be a cold rain on its way tomorrow. "47F that's tropical!" well kinda cold I guess :D

I will collect rain water and water when this blows over by the weekend. Got nothing but time now all locked down and whatnot.