Any suggestions on this?

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
rposcro

Any suggestions on this?

Post by rposcro »

Hello Guys,

I've got a problem with identifying this: http://www.rposcro.2-0.pl/cactoos.html
You'll find 5 different photos of the same plant at the link

Genesis:
I was travelling to Arizona and bought some strange (at least for someone who lives in Poland :) fruit. The fruit had lots of seeds so I decided to plant them.
After a while almost all the seeds germinated.

Photo desc:
1. After two weeks since the germination.
2,3. About a month later.
4,5. After next 1-2 months they're dyeing and I've completely no idea why :( Maybe a clue on the issue also?

Thanks a lot for any replies.
r
ajaxas

Post by ajaxas »

This URL does not work.
rposcro

Post by rposcro »

ajaxas wrote:This URL does not work.
Sorry for that. Seems that my provider made a bad work :evil: I'll post here again when it's up.

Thanks,
r
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Hi rposcro, welcome to the forum.

Can you describe what the fruit looked like or what the fruit was called when you acquired it?

Bill
Turtleman

Post by Turtleman »

What is it with Arizona and everyone getting seed pods? :lol: :lol:

I cant think of a person that visits us that "Dosent" end up with seed pods from someplace..LOL.. I cant wait for the image.. so I'll start guessing..
Ummmmmm......... a cholla perhaps??? :|
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Turtleman wrote:What is it with Arizona and everyone getting seed pods? :lol: :lol:

I cant think of a person that visits us that "Dosent" end up with seed pods from someplace..LOL.. I cant wait for the image.. so I'll start guessing..
Ummmmmm......... a cholla perhaps??? :|
LOL....actually I was thinking along the line of either a cholla or prickly pear.
I can't think of any other cacti that grow in arizona :wink: :lol:

Bill
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I'd even be so bold as to narrow it down to the fruit of O. ficus-indica, which would very likely be sold in markets in the Southwest US -particularily if the market caters to Mexican foods.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Ken1983

Post by Ken1983 »

If its sold as a fruit, i guess it could be the dragon fruit. My mum bought them from the supermarkets. And i only recently know they grew from cactus. :oops:
Turtleman

Post by Turtleman »

Dont worry Ken,, Arizona has SO many different types of cactus that grow around here it isnt funny.. BUT!! the most common are the chollas and it just seems like everyone ends up with one,, eaither in a bag to take home or stuck in themselves and going home weather they like it or not! LOL

The sad thing here is the construction growth,, many of our natural mammies and other cacti are getting bulldozed over in the construction craze.. theres more and more people getting together and forming Cactus rescue groups,, at least there saveing some.. it use to be you could go out for a good dirt bike ride and see thousands of hedgehogs in full bloom all around...... now-a-days.. its hard to find any!
rposcro

Post by rposcro »

Guys,

Thanks for all your answers :D
The link should work now, so please go there and check the photos: http://www.rposcro.2-0.pl/cactoos.html

It was similar to prickly pear (which I know from parks) but was rather green and a bit bigger.

My first guess was O. ficus-indica as daiv suggested but please verify it.

Thanks,
r
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Oh man! I don't know anyone who can ID an Opuntia by looking at the seedlings (including Dave Ferguson). But I can say that is definately Opuntia and if it was being sold at a market, then there is a 99% chance it is O. ficus-indica.

As for the health of these guys... They look pretty good to me. That soil looks a little rich, but otherwise fine. The cotyledons are supposed to dry up and go away.

Bill would be best to consult on this, probably.

Daiv
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Well at least we can ID them as seedlings :lol:

As Daiv has pointed out a proper ID on a seedling is nearly impossible. I agree it is more than likely O. ficus-indica if you bought the fruit at a market.
At this point the seedling pictures could also be easily mistaken for a Cylindropuntia (cholla) seedlings also.

They look like there doing well. Keep up the good growing and keep us posted.

Bill
Mike A

Post by Mike A »

I'd go for Opuntia as well.

I got a Consolea (closely related to Opuntias) which looks exactly like that when it's young. :)
rposcro

Post by rposcro »

Thanks Guys. Now I'm pretty sure it's Indigo :)

Unfortunatelly currently they do not look as good as it was last time :cry: Please take a look at the newest photos and suggest some action for saving them :?

http://www.rposcro.2-0.pl/dyingindigo.html

I separated them and treat each group in a different way but actually nothing helps.

Thanks,
Robert
tumamoc

Post by tumamoc »

I am no expert, but it looks like they need to have a more well-drained soil. Maybe a half gravelly sand, half topsoil mixture? Your planter needs a hole (or holes) in the bottom and some larger gravels along the base to sieve the water. Anyway, that seems to be the magic combination for my opuntias.