Mystery echinocerus

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Carondelet75

Mystery echinocerus

Post by Carondelet75 »

Hi All,
I am new to this forum and would be glad for any assistance in identifying the species of echinocereus in the attached photos. Unfortunately it has not yet flowered. I grew it from a batch of seeds that were echinocereus rigidissimus var. rubispinus. However, all the other plants from that batch went on to display the characteristic bands of purplish spines. I am wondering if this could possibly be the cultivar "albiflorus" which apparently has cream coloured spines( not a heap of photos online).The spines curve back towards the stem like rubispinus but completely lack any of the colour, even on the apex, which is rather flat and not rounded. I can't find any other photos of echinocereus species with spination like this. Any help would be much appreciated!
Attachments
20200310_162029_copy_600x800.jpg
20200310_162029_copy_600x800.jpg (130.18 KiB) Viewed 859 times
20200310_162038_copy_600x800.jpg
20200310_162038_copy_600x800.jpg (98.94 KiB) Viewed 859 times
20200310_162032_copy_600x800.jpg
20200310_162032_copy_600x800.jpg (102.04 KiB) Viewed 859 times
teo

Re: Mystery echinocerus

Post by teo »

A 'normal' rigidissimus or a reichenbachii maybe ?
Carondelet75

Post by Carondelet75 »

I had a look at some photos of a reichenbachii and thought the spines looked a bit different.

Might be a regular rigidissimus. Most of the photos online show them with the purple spines and the cactus-art website describes them as having bands of colour but they did have one photo of a plant with pure white spines. I would think it would be more likely to be a regular rigidissimus than an albiflorus, although that would be a nice surprise :D
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Plants are variable, even within a single population in habitat. Many in cultivation are clones selected for their particular spination colour.

Any plants grown from seeds can vary due to dominant or recessive genes. In the past people used to love giving different names to every minor variation. As to rubispinus being variable from seed see the links below, but we tend to pick the reddest spined given a choice on the sales bench. However your plant is still a juvenile and may develop redder spination later.

Click on picture in link to enlarge.

https://www.floraccess.com/en/v/35504/j ... ubispinus/

https://depositphotos.com/194100476/sto ... simus.html

One of the diagnostic features of Echinocereus is the green stigma lobes, but rubispinus is one of the few Echinocereus that can have either greenish or reddish stigma lobes:-

rubispinus.jpg
rubispinus.jpg (61.55 KiB) Viewed 836 times

See one with green stigma lobes in small pictures in link below:-

https://rareplant.me/more-succ/echinoce ... s-10-seeds
tumamoc

Post by tumamoc »

teo wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:10 am A 'normal' rigidissimus or a reichenbachii maybe ?
I think this is exactly right. It's very hard to ID these immature forms with pectinate spines. In addition, reichenbachii has a lot of different varieties.
CactusInteruptus

Post by CactusInteruptus »

Is it "rubispinus" or "rubrispinus"? I'm confused.
I love cacti! I love cacti!! I love cacti!!! :lol:
Carondelet75

Post by Carondelet75 »

Thanks so much for the info guys. Your information has been very helpful.

I have seen spelling of both rubispinus and rubrispinus online. It is a tad confusing :-k
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

The correct name is rubispinus, since it was originally published as Echinocereus pectinatus var. rubispinus G.Frank & A.B.Lau. Later it was transferred to a variety of Echinocereus rigidissimus, as Echinocereus rigidissimus var. rubispinus by Nigel Taylor.

People get confused since for many cacti the more common spelling rubrispinus has been used. However the authors original spelling rubispinus is the valid one in this case. Though as you say you will see it spelt both ways on the Web. Spelling mistakes can be corrected under the Botanical Code for Nomenclature, but this is not considered a spelling mistake, being the intentional spelling by the original authors therefore stands.

http://www.llifle.com/Encyclopedia/CACT ... rubispinus
Carondelet75

Post by Carondelet75 »

DaveW wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:20 am The correct name is rubispinus, since it was originally published as Echinocereus pectinatus var. rubispinus G.Frank & A.B.Lau. Later it was transferred to a variety of Echinocereus rigidissimus, as Echinocereus rigidissimus var. rubispinus by Nigel Taylor.

People get confused since for many cacti the more common spelling rubrispinus has been used. However the authors original spelling rubispinus is the valid one in this case. Though as you say you will see it spelt both ways on the Web. Spelling mistakes can be corrected under the Botanical Code for Nomenclature, but this is not considered a spelling mistake, being the intentional spelling by the original authors therefore stands.

http://www.llifle.com/Encyclopedia/CACT ... rubispinus
Glad to have that spelling explained. I have been wondering about that for years.