A few questions concerning some species

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Lea

A few questions concerning some species

Post by Lea »

Hey guys!

I am thinking about ordering seeds from koehres, since the last seeds from them all germinated without exception.
The problem is, I have no idea how to germinate/grow the species I am interested in.

Those are:
Aztekium ritteri
Clistanthocereus samnensis
Ferocactus acanthodes v. lecontei

I will probably add one or two more cacti to the list later on, I am still browsing through the abundance of species they are offering.

Especially the Clistanthocereus makes me wonder about its specific requirements since I don't seem to find much online. If the cactus needs something I can not provide, I have to get what is needed or refrain from ordering.

Anyways, I think what I am really asking for, are general care and germination tips for these particular species.

On the other side, I am slowly changing the care of my ariocarpus and astrophytum seedlings. They have been 'under glass' for a bit longer than half a year and haven't been exposed to fresh air since. So right now, I am opening the lid step by step. Really tiny steps. I hope this is the correct way to do it. I am super scared to do something wrong with them. They are so tiny 8-[
Is there anything else I should be aware of? Like, when do I switch from pure Seramis to a less water holding mix? and how should I continue the watering routine?
Any help is very appreciated.

Thank you guys!
Minime8484

Re: A few questions concerning some species

Post by Minime8484 »

I've grown many Clistanthocereus (=Borzicactus) samnensis from seed. They are easy and relatively fast-growing. I do not do anything special for them at all.
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

Ferocactus and Clistanthocereus should be easy, with normal cactus seed treatment.

Aztekium are exceptionally slow, even compared to Ariocarpus.
Keep them sealed up a long time and be very patient.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
Jangaudi

Post by Jangaudi »

Pereskiopsisdotcom

Post by Pereskiopsisdotcom »

I get way too impatient with Aztekium seeds germinating and sometimes I forget I was even trying to grow them. They should be germinated separately and kept sealed and moist for quite a bit longer than the average seed start.
http://pereskiopsis.com

Interests include: Rhipsalis, Turbinicarpus, Gymnocalycium, and Lophophora.
Lea

Post by Lea »

Thank you guys for all the replies!

So, normal cactus treatment means temperatures between 21-28°C and germination in light?
At least that is what I did with the ariocarpi and astros (I think it was 26°, all germinated after 2 days!).
I am sorry for all these questions, this is my second batch and I realize there is still much to learn.
So, concerning the Aztekium, I should seal the seedlings seperately? How come? I guess I need to read the link first, thank you!

On another note, I added more species to my shopping cart:

Neoporteria mix
Melocactus mix
Notocactus buiningii
Thelocactus phymatothelos
Jangaudi

Post by Jangaudi »

So, concerning the Aztekium, I should seal the seedlings seperately?
Due the fact they grow slowly it's better to keep them sealed for much longer than other cacti species, hence they need their own container. Or you could mix them with other slow growing species. ;)
Lea

Post by Lea »

Oh, of course. My fault!
I was so used to keeping my seedlings sealed that I totally forgot that other species don't need that.

So, how long should I keep the normal cacti sealed then? 2-3 months?

I remember that I still have seeds from the ariocarpi, so i could put them with aztekium, right?
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Jangaudi wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:52 am Due the fact they grow slowly it's better to keep them sealed for much longer than other cacti species, hence they need their own container. Or you could mix them with other slow growing species. ;)
The only other candidate to mix them with would be Blossfeldia and in less extend Strombocactus.

Regarding growing Aztekium (and Blossfeldia), look for the term 'baggy method' on this forum. This is (for me at least) the only method of actually growing these species from seed. The soil needs to be well sterilised / cooked, and seeds sown in the pots with soil (cooled down a bit) should be locked in an air sealed bag or transparent container. The soil should still be moist when the seeds are sown, so the soil will stay moist for the next year (or two) and the bag or container should never be opened in the mean time.

Some algae will always creep in. But just as long as it is not overgrowing your seedlings, it should be fine. When the soil turns ugly (black and fungi like) or the algae are overgrowing your seedlings, you should remove the pot as an emergency escape. Only then you can open the bag / container. If there is no need, keep it locked up for at least a year, preferably two years.

Also try to see if the pots is still moist after many months. Occasionally the moisture could still evaporate and the soil turns bone dry. Also in this case (when you are really sure the soil is dry!) allow for an emergency escape. Not all bags and containers are 100% air sealed...
Lea

Post by Lea »

Thanks for the info!

Well, I guess I kinda do the baggy method, without the baggy. My last years seedlings are in enclosed old ice-cream containers without (!) drainage holes.
I did not sterilize anything before starting the seeds though, just cleaned the small containers, added seramis, sprayed it with rainwater until the seramis was darker without having water in the bottom. Then i put the seeds on the surface, gave them a spray so they get humid from the top and closed the lids. That was last June. No casualties so far :)
Although I am opening them now. I think I should have waited.

Well I guess I would do the same for my next seeds, except for sterilizing more properly. Or can I optimize it some more?
7george

Post by 7george »

Ferocactus acanthodes v. lecontei --- These might germinate rapidly but sometimes in next years only. To grow them you will need rather a greenhouse, they love sun, heat and not over-watering esp. at cooler or room conditions. To see flowers will have to wait at least 20 years at optimal conditions. Hopefully climate change will help with heats.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
Lea

Post by Lea »

Sun and heat are no problem in the summer. We had 40°C last year (in the shadow) for a few days and that happens every other year. Weeks over 30°C are not unusual. The last few winters became less cold so I think the climate change is definetly happening already. The last summer was super dry aswell. We had a month without rainfall and my particular area is said to have maritime climate.
Anyways, I keep my rooms at 21°C in winter with heaters, except for nighttime. Do you think this will be sufficient? I plan to use LED lights in the darker months and want to sell many of the seedlings due to space issues.
Luckily I have a huge garden and a huge cellar, so I can rotate the plants if the need arises. Are any of the species NOT fine with that temperature in summer? Because the sun can be quite murderous here, at least it feels that way :D
And concerning the flowers, I am not particulary excited about them. I mainly keep cacti and many tropicals for their looks. I think the only flowering plant I ever bought was a Kalanchoe. Although my Begonia Rex did flower too, surprisingly. Anyways, it is not a must.

Thank you for the info! It is really appreciated. Do you think my plan will work?
In the meantime I have made my order and am waiting for the bill.
Lea

Post by Lea »

Sorry for the double post, I hope this is okay!

A new question arose: Since I am purchasing 2 mixed seed packages, I was wondering when the seedlings are developped far enough to be identified?

And I thought my last post might have been a bit misleading, concerning the space issues, but the huge garden and cellar.
The thing is, I want to look at my plants, so I prefer to have them in my living area as soon as they are old enough. And this space is very limited due to an abundance of tropical plants. I will, however, be able to store all plants one way or the other, even though it is not preferable for me.
7george

Post by 7george »

Lea wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:30 am Sun and heat are no problem in the summer. We had 40°C last year (in the shadow) for a few days and that happens every other year. Weeks over 30°C are not unusual. The last few winters became less cold so I think the climate change is definetly happening already. The last summer was super dry aswell. We had a month without rainfall and my particular area is said to have maritime climate.
Anyways, I keep my rooms at 21°C in winter with heaters, except for nighttime. Do you think this will be sufficient? I plan to use LED lights in the darker months and want to sell many of the seedlings due to space issues.
Luckily I have a huge garden and a huge cellar, so I can rotate the plants if the need arises. Are any of the species NOT fine with that temperature in summer? Because the sun can be quite murderous here, at least it feels that way :D
And concerning the flowers, I am not particulary excited about them. I mainly keep cacti and many tropicals for their looks. I think the only flowering plant I ever bought was a Kalanchoe. Although my Begonia Rex did flower too, surprisingly. Anyways, it is not a must.

Thank you for the info! It is really appreciated. Do you think my plan will work?
In the meantime I have made my order and am waiting for the bill.
Our plants come from two or more vast continents with many different climates. We can not recreate all these conditions in one house or greenhouse. So I am about to grow what grows well in my conditions. Heat lovers are hard for me, growing slow, not blooming much or slowly die.

About Mammillaria grahamii germinating (and maybe other sonoran cacti):
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 6316302038
SthP_BBc.JPG
SthP_BBc.JPG (127.3 KiB) Viewed 2224 times
SthP_FFc.JPG
SthP_FFc.JPG (103.81 KiB) Viewed 2221 times
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
Lea

Post by Lea »

@7george
wow, thank you for the detailed information! This is very interesting to read.
So, in conclusion, does that mean that I may have to wait until early summer for some seeds to germinate, unless I put them near the radiator? I am not sure about the latter variant. I'll measure the temperature in the general area today and see what it says, but the temperature range might be hard to control.
I am planning to germinate and grow my seeds in an old aquarium with a still working plantlight. I am not sure about the lumen, the label doesn't show any numbers, but I think it will be okay-ish for the start. I am sure it is not as strong as needed for bigger cacti, since it was intended for underwater plants, but I think it should be sufficient for young seedlings, right?
The aquarium had been gifted to me by someone, because it was leaking and I had pet mice in there for 2 years, so I never had to use the lights before now. I am currently testing it with seeds of annuals for the garden and see how it goes and if they will etiolate.

After reading your info, I am thinking that it could be a good idea to keep the seeds that didn't germinate throughout the summer, someplace in the shadow of the garden and see if something hatches. I am, however, not sure how to handle this, because some cacti seedlings will most likely be ready to be transplanted until then, so I would have to open the baggies then. Should I prepare a second batch of baggies then or just close the old ones again?