I have no idea whats going on?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
victoryboxer

I have no idea whats going on?

Post by victoryboxer »

My little porch garden has been doing really well! With all of y'alls advice they seem to be thriving :D

But in the last week or two I have had a problem. I just lost a balloon cactus that was SUPER gooey on the inside and brown. It completely fell apart. Now I have noticed two other cacti with some issues. none of these cacti are living by each other. I haven't been over watering, espically with fall coming up her in the south. Any help I greatly appreciate it!

This one has been shrinking in size- it's still firm and not gooey

Now this one has turned brown??
mikethecactusguy

Re: I have no idea whats going on?

Post by mikethecactusguy »

It appears they are all lacking adequate light.
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
EdekaReweAldiLidl

Post by EdekaReweAldiLidl »

The first one looks slightly etoliated and more light would help.

Try to scrape off the white stuff on the second one. There is a pest that covers the surface of a cactus. If it doesn't scrape off, the only other thing I can think of is sunburn but it seems unlikely since the first cactus is etoliating a bit.
victoryboxer

Post by victoryboxer »

Thx y'all!! The yellow does scrape off! It's extremely hard to do though 😔 any ideas? I'm using some of my extra small purning but that's very hard
EdekaReweAldiLidl

Btw, in case you can't provide adequate light, you can reduce your watering. It won't solve the problem but it will minimize it. You want to prevent the cactus from growing too fast. The best solution is still more sunlight.

Sorry, I'm lucky to not have experienced this problem. Try to use a systemic insecticide. It will make the cactus poisonous to the pests. When they die, the covering will hopefully fall off. The insecticide will take time to work though so scrape off what you can.
victoryboxer

Post by victoryboxer »

Thank you so much for your help!! I've scraped off a lot with my succulent kits tweezers and scissors. I've also ordered "Bonide - Systemic House Plant Insect Insecticide". I'm thinking about pouring an oil over it to help it while I wait for the insecticide.
EdekaReweAldiLidl

I have no idea about using oil. I heard some people use neem oil but I haven't seen it do any good for me.