I Can't Identify This Plant

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
leisurely

I Can't Identify This Plant

Post by leisurely »

I hope that someone on the forum can identify my plant. I have no other plant in my collection that closely resembles this plant. I discovered it about three years ago as a very tiny seedling in the pot of another plant. I suspect that a seed was in the pot of the other plant that I purchased somewhere and it germinated in the pot. It seems to be a very fast grower because it now fills a four inch plastic pot. Image
Attachments
DSC_0010 (640x426).jpg
DSC_0010 (640x426).jpg (55.25 KiB) Viewed 1716 times
DSC_0013 (640x426).jpg
DSC_0013 (640x426).jpg (63.37 KiB) Viewed 1716 times
Jerry
Shane

Re: I Can't Identify This Plant

Post by Shane »

Perhaps a Parodia of some kind?
Los Angeles, California (USA)
Zone 10b (yearly minimum temperature 1-5° C)

Fishhook cacti are like cats, they only like to be petted in one direction
Atozbotanicals

Post by Atozbotanicals »

Shane wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:32 am Perhaps a Parodia of some kind?
It does look like a Parodia to me as well. Also shares a stark resemblance to Coleocephalocereus.
17 year old Cactus enthusiast specializing in hard growing North American species.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

I was just thinking Coleocephalocereus or Buiningia too. But did not think they offsetted that freely unless the original growing point was damaged. However I see some on the Web that have. Again there would be no doubt if it flowered as the flowers are born on a lateral cephalium.

http://www.llifle.com/Encyclopedia/CACT ... ngia_aurea

http://www.cactusinhabitat.org/index.ph ... d=130&l=en
Aloinopsis

Post by Aloinopsis »

I have seen this same plant labeled as a Frailea cultivar/variety, but I don't remember which species. I remember only it because it looks like some Frailea seedlings, all disheveled and ugly (in my opinion, no disrespect meant, that's just the word I immediately thought of because all Frailea seedlings are like that), only as an adult.

For this entire clump to be in a four inch pot, that means the individual plants are rather small as well (as are all Fraileas) and to be fast growing that would also make sense, because individual Fraileas have short lifespans. Plus, Frailea seed are more likely to get spilled over into other pots being cleistogamous, since the grower won't see flowers and thus wouldn't even think to look for seeds. There are not that many true species but there are a ton of varieties and subspecies and cultivars: https://www.frailea.com/FIB_Names.htm

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a Frailea expert and I could be 100% wrong. It could easily be a Parodia like others have said, just throwing out Frailea because it's what I first remembered. Do we have any Frailea growers here?
Atozbotanicals

Post by Atozbotanicals »

Aloinopsis wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:28 pm I have seen this same plant labeled as a Frailea cultivar/variety, but I don't remember which species. I remember only it because it looks like some Frailea seedlings, all disheveled and ugly (in my opinion, no disrespect meant, that's just the word I immediately thought of because all Frailea seedlings are like that), only as an adult.

For this entire clump to be in a four inch pot, that means the individual plants are rather small as well (as are all Fraileas) and to be fast growing that would also make sense, because individual Fraileas have short lifespans. Plus, Frailea seed are more likely to get spilled over into other pots being cleistogamous, since the grower won't see flowers and thus wouldn't even think to look for seeds. There are not that many true species but there are a ton of varieties and subspecies and cultivars: https://www.frailea.com/FIB_Names.htm

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a Frailea expert and I could be 100% wrong. It could easily be a Parodia like others have said, just throwing out Frailea because it's what I first remembered. Do we have any Frailea growers here?

I’ve never seen a Frailea with such defined ribs and long, robust spines.
17 year old Cactus enthusiast specializing in hard growing North American species.
Aloinopsis

Post by Aloinopsis »

I have only at plant shows. Even there though the label is not always correct.
leisurely

Post by leisurely »

I am inclined to believe that the plant might be either Buiningia purpurea f. caespitosa or Buiningia brevicylindrica. Seeking other opions.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Buining ... i6TlXYpaEM:
Jerry
Dodi Russell
Location: Sri Lanka, tropical climate, high humidity( no winters)

Post by Dodi Russell »

It looks a lot like that one.
Location: Sri Lanka, tropical climate, high humidity( no winters)
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Problem always identifying plants from pictures is sense of scale, hence the Frailea and Buiningia comments, two totally different sized plants. One newcomer is said to have identified their Rebutia as Echinocactus grusonii form a small illustration in a book having no sense of scale. Without a sense of scale it is easy to make mistakes.

Yes that does look like what one might almost describe as a semi-monstrose Buiningia. Whether it was found in habitat or is a cultivar found originally in a batch of seedlings it does not say,

http://www.llifle.com/Encyclopedia/CACT ... caespitosa
leisurely

Post by leisurely »

I indicated that it was growing in a four inch plastic pot and that it was from a seed that germinated in another one of my potted plants. Perhaps I did not make myself very clear.
Jerry
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Me that needs new computer glasses Jerry!