Shade cloth color

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
absolute0

Shade cloth color

Post by absolute0 »

Does the color of the shade cloth matter? The color of materials after all affect how much light is reflected or absorbed. I read a study on the impact of colors though the study was done on crop plants and some ornamentals. If shade cloth color indeed matters, which color would be best for cacti and succulents?
DaveW

Re: Shade cloth color

Post by DaveW »

Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

absolute0 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:07 am Does the color of the shade cloth matter? The color of materials after all affect how much light is reflected or absorbed. I read a study on the impact of colors though the study was done on crop plants and some ornamentals. If shade cloth color indeed matters, which color would be best for cacti and succulents?
While Dave's link is interesting, the article doesn't say anything about what different colors might do for or to cactus growth. For whatever it's worth -- I've been using 40% black shade cloth for years, and my cacti are loving it.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Mine is green.
absolute0

Post by absolute0 »

Perhaps there's a reason why shade cloths usually come in black and green
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

Mine is gray!
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Green tends to be traditionally used in horticulture as it blends in with the foliage of most plants. A lot of horticultural implements are painted green. Green sulphur to dust on plants foliage for instance, since it does not show up on the leaves as normal yellow sulphur would.

Interesting remark in the link below that shade cloth can increase the temperature if you make a tent of it, thus restricting air flow. You really only need it in the direction the sun is coming from to stop the suns rays.

https://journals.ashs.org/hortsci/view/ ... e-p239.xml
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

I use a tan shade cloth I bought from Lowe's 2010, and it is still working. All my greenhouses have tan shade cloths. :oops: