Eriosyce (Cactaceae): The Genus Revised and Amplified

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
SCS

Eriosyce (Cactaceae): The Genus Revised and Amplified

Post by SCS »

Hi-
Does anyone have this book?
The first time I searched for this book with intent to purchase ~ a month ago; it was $125 on Amazon. A bit pricey, so I didn't complete the purchase. The next day, up to $225. Second picture, current price below. I've also checked a number of libraries. No luck.
The first picture is what I believe to be Kattermann's definition of the genus. I know there are a lot of different thoughts on genera placement.
My question is, does Kattermann reference his collection numbers with species and varieties in the book?
If I were trying to find Eriosyce crispa ssp. atroviridis var. atroviridis.... could I match up a field number?
I tried Ralph Martin's Field number finder, but it only breaks down to the suspecies level, not the further variety level.
Thank you very much!
eriosyce breakdown.jpg
eriosyce breakdown.jpg (79.12 KiB) Viewed 1783 times
Attachments
eriosyce.jpg
eriosyce.jpg (49.38 KiB) Viewed 1783 times
Best regards, Lisa
Shoal Creek Succulents
DaveW

Re: Eriosyce (Cactaceae): The Genus Revised and Amplified

Post by DaveW »

Yes I have it Lisa. Can't remember what I paid for it now when it first came out.

No Fred does not produce a separate list of numbers in the book, only mentions them under the species in the text. I have Fred's list of numbers that he sent me before his book came out, in fact Ralph Martin's starter numbers lists came from me (Dave Whiteley) as you will see he acknowledges.

The reason there are not many varieties listed these days is the modern trend is not to have any divisions below subspecies, although Fred does make some varieties. Eriosyce crispa ssp. atroviridis var. atroviridis is of course simply a formal way of writing Eriosyce atroviridis type form, or Eriosyce crispa ssp. atroviridis if you submerge it under crispa. The type form retains that name down through all lesser ranks needed, for instance as Eriosyce crispa ssp atroviridis, var. atroviridis, subvar, atroviridis, forma atroviridis. Of course normally you just write them out to the lowest rank needed.

Under E. crispa v. atroviridis Fred lists FK 65; North of Freirina, FK 67, FK 69; S. of Vallenar, FK 105 S. of Freirina FK 160; N. of Vallenar, FK 397,

I also have Ritter's 4 volume work on S. American cacti where many were published (in those days as varieties) as most were originally published by him.

I still tend to use the Donald & Rowley 1966 "Reunion of Neoporteria" taxonomy since I don't think Eriosyce sensu stricto really belongs with the others therefore I tend to use Neoporteria and Thelocephala for many of them, retaining Eriosyce for the large woolly fruited ones.

If there are any numbers or information you want Lisa PM me. We found a lot of the Eriosyce when we went to Chile in 2015,

http://forum.bcss.org.uk/viewtopic.php? ... 1&start=60

One mentioned in Fred's book but not named then:-

http://www.succseed.com/shop/6903/art36 ... 98-201.pdf
SCS

Post by SCS »

Hi Dave-

Thanks for the excellent response. With the collection numbers listed under the species of the text - that's perfect. Makes the book worthwhile to have.

And Succseed does have a large number of Kattermann's Eriosyce. Mats is my favorite seed vendor.

Ralph Martin's field number finder is awesome! It would be neat if one could pull up a collector and review a list that way. I was once working on Horst's Melos and that would have been handy to see a list.

Thanks again, very helpful!
Best regards, Lisa
Shoal Creek Succulents
phil_SK

Post by phil_SK »

There's a second database, Chris Ludwig's, that has some different data and, more usefully, some different functionality: http://cludwigfr.dyndns.org/liste.asp?FNnum=17
SCS

Post by SCS »

Thanks Phil,

That is a handy list indeed, being able to view a collector's list in numeric order by genus. It leads me to more questions, I will post a new topic when the sun is up and I can add some pictures...

:D
Best regards, Lisa
Shoal Creek Succulents