fertilizer

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
stefanalex17

fertilizer

Post by stefanalex17 »

Hi! Do you use fertilizer, if yes, what is the period when you use fertilizer on your cacti and how often?
Last edited by stefanalex17 on Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveW

Re: fertilizer

Post by DaveW »

Once or twice a year and only in the growing season at half strength listed on the pack since cacti don't grow as quick as "normal" plants, therefore don't need excess fertilisation. My potting soil has some organic content though, but if you use a purely mineral mix since this contains little nutrients you will need to fertilise more often, so I will let those who do advise.

Generally speaking cacti don't need the high nitrogen fertilisers ordinary plants do, so those intended for flowers or fruit like tomato fertilisers are ideal as they are lower in nitrogen. However a nurseryman I knew used to give his plants a higher nitrogen feed when they were actively growing, but a lower one at flowering time. Not sure it made all that difference though.
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

Bayer Advanced All-In-One Rose and Flower Care Concentrate, I use this at the beginning of growing season and again 8 weeks later. I use mainly for 3 systemic products in one: insect control, disease control and fertilizer.
stefanalex17

Post by stefanalex17 »

I saw on youtube some "natural fertilizer" from bananas husk and water. What do you think about this fertilizer, guys?
dinfelu

Post by dinfelu »

It seems to me that it lacks some phosphorus nitrogen and trace elements only is included potassium in the banana skin, for me incomplete

regards
🌵 Gabriel
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Most fertilisers these days incorporate the more important trace elements. However many seemingly presume some minor ones will be available from soil, either in open ground or the potting mix. If you are growing in purely mineral mixes therefore it may be worth considering using a fertiliser intended for hydroponics occasionally, since that should contain the full range of trace elements needed, if only in minute amounts.

However most seem to get their plants growing OK using normal fertilisers including trace elements with mineral mixes, so presumably the minerals themselves may contain some of those needed only in minute amount's?

http://succulent-plant.com/fertiliser.html
cactidan

Post by cactidan »

I fertilise 2 - 3 times in the growing season, and even then only those that haven't been recently repotted. My potting mix has some JI in it so is not lacking to begin with.
TimN

Post by TimN »

I fertilize with every watering in the growing season. I used a home-made concoction of ammonium sulfate, potash and a high-phosphorus flowering fertilizer with trace elements. I use this at about one third strength. I also acidulate the water to about 5.0 ph. My local water is extremely hard and extremely alkaline, but it's what I've got.

Off season, I generally don't fertilize and don't have to water very often. We've gotten quite a bit of rain this winter, so I haven't watered in a couple of months. I'll probably water in the nest week or so as daytime temps are starting to climb, I won't feed this next time..

A grower I admire uses quarter strength tomato fertilizer every time he waters during the growing season. LIke me, he doesn't have to water much in winter and therefore doesn't feed.
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim