New growth

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Re: New growth

Post by WayneByerly »

Picture named "20180509_124333-1200x1600.jpg"... the spines on that cactus really appeal to me. Especially the colors. What is it?
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Those rainbow pictures are very beautiful wayne!
The green body with short spines is an echinocactus grusonii 'intermedius' and the other one is a ferocactus wislizenii
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

ElieEstephane wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:07 am Those rainbow pictures are very beautiful wayne!
The green body with short spines is an echinocactus grusonii 'intermedius' and the other one is a ferocactus wislizenii
I thought they MIGHT find a little interest. Kinda rare ... it's got to rain on the other side of you from the sun (AND the sun has to be shining), and the sun HAS to be at JUST the right angle. Hard to duplicate these conditions. I don't see one of these but once every 2 to 5 years.

that's the oddest E. grusonii that i've seen. mine doesn't look ANYTHING like that. the spines on mine are much longer and thinner. it must be the 'Intermedius' part of its ID.

and i've got a Ferocactus wislizenii too ... that looks NOTHING like yours ... but then again, mine is REAL small ... maybe 1.25 inches (3.2cm).
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
Pompom

Post by Pompom »

WayneByerly wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:21 am I thought they MIGHT find a little interest. Kinda rare ... it's got to rain on the other side of you from the sun (AND the sun has to be shining), and the sun HAS to be at JUST the right angle. Hard to duplicate these conditions. I don't see one of these but once every 2 to 5 years.
Oh really? Because I live here when the sun is always somehow angled and the weather can change from cloudy to clear sunny sky in like 30 minutes, rainbows almost every time come with rain. I promise to try to catch you double rainbows, which are rare here. I'm sure you'd like that!
They say, everyone has their own rainbow since it needs the right angle to be shown and because everyone is positioned little different, it appears slightly different to everyone. :D
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

I have never been involved in doing research on the exact conditions required for the production of rainbows, so I'm just parroting what I have heard.

I've always heard/read that the sun needs to be low in the sky in order to produce rainbows, as the light from the sun needs to originate from low in the sky in order to reflect the suns light straight back from the water droplets in the air. Meaning that the sun needs to be low in the sky. That's all I know how about the production of rainbows...

If you know facts that are different from what I have, please feel free to educate me. I like to keep my facts straight. I do not like making mistakes in relating information to other people. It's embarrassing.