First attempt at seed sowing (Euphorbia)

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
kak tus

First attempt at seed sowing (Euphorbia)

Post by kak tus »

So this is my first attempt at sowing any sort of seeds and it's a Euphorbia sp. Figured it will be a good test of my patience. I'll be sowing just five seeds (too little?) first, another five kept in the fridge to be sown after first five yields results.

Day 0

-Using 50:50 organic:inorganic soil mix.
-Bag method
-Seed viability water test only shows three seeds that have any chance of success (bummer)
IMG_2147 (Custom).JPG
IMG_2147 (Custom).JPG (56.14 KiB) Viewed 1583 times
Spot the seeds!
IMG_2151 (Custom).JPG
IMG_2151 (Custom).JPG (91.7 KiB) Viewed 1583 times
Last edited by kak tus on Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kak tus

Re: First attempt at seed sowing

Post by kak tus »

Day 7
-Two are showing fuzzy white stuff around it so I assume they are germinating (yay!) and not mold after checking another topic posted by another forum member.
-Currently they are placed beside a north-facing window which may not be the best location, I know, but it's making the most of an apartment.
-I've decided to turn on the lights at night since it seems to speed up the germination
-So far the two that are germinating are consistent with the seeds that passed the water test.

Photo of the fuzziest one near the top
IMG_2490 (1).JPG
IMG_2490 (1).JPG (65.5 KiB) Viewed 1579 times
RiseMoon

Re: First attempt at seed sowing (Euphorbia)

Post by RiseMoon »

I can't see clearly, but good luck in your sow!!
kak tus

Post by kak tus »

RiseMoon wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:58 am I can't see clearly, but good luck in your sow!!
Thanks but it turns out that the fuzzy white hair that I suspected were spines/roots were actually fungi/mold. I suspect poor ventilation as the main culprit. From what I read in the forum, soaking the seedlings in hydrogen peroxide solution may reduce the chances of fungi. I will reattempt with the last five seeds once I'm over the disappointment.
teo

Post by teo »

It's (nearly) always a problem with mold/fungi/algae when you have a closed environment and high organic content in the soil. it helps some to sterilize the soil (by heating it) before sowing but it doesn't always help (in my experience).
kristian_Fossmo

Post by kristian_Fossmo »

Skip the closing in bit and put the pot on a plate or something and water from below by letting them stand in a couple of millimeters of water if you are not able to spray them daily. The capillary forces will aid in sufficient surface dampness to allow germination (if the pot isn´t very high) plus you reduce the fungiproblems. Fungi love stagnant air and humid envioments.
"When the last individual of a race of living things breathes no more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be again."
William Beebe, 1906
kak tus

Post by kak tus »

kristian_Fossmo wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:56 pm Skip the closing in bit and put the pot on a plate or something and water from below by letting them stand in a couple of millimeters of water if you are not able to spray them daily. The capillary forces will aid in sufficient surface dampness to allow germination (if the pot isn´t very high) plus you reduce the fungiproblems. Fungi love stagnant air and humid envioments.
Thanks for the suggestion. In fact I remember considering that option before using the paper bag method. I think I'll opt for that method for the next attempt.