Has This Ever Happened to You?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
CACTUSCANADA

Has This Ever Happened to You?

Post by CACTUSCANADA »

Recently I experienced a major loss of two very rare cacti.

Whats worse is I cannot conjure up a decent explanation for it.

I had two prized grafted plants grown under light for the last 5-6 months, warm and bright characterized their recent life.
I decided to move them into natural lighting next to a window indoors because of space constraints and the impending spring weather.

With in a few days #1, the scion began to rot. It had not been watered at all once I moved it.
Few days later with #2 I also noticed that only the scion was also rotting.

Both root stocks are completely fine with no signs of damage or rot before and after the incident - it is only the scions that spontaneously began to rot.
Both scions were variegated.
Temperatures they were used to were between 21-36C under the lights before being moved.
Temperatures in the natural environment of my house would be between 19-24C once moved.
This rotting process took only a number of days.
Both were in properly dry soil.

Can anybody explain this phenomenon? I can only imagine its stress induced...

Thank You
:D
ElieEstephane

Re: Has This Ever Happened to You?

Post by ElieEstephane »

Maybe a photo of where the rot started and how it disallowed - see forum rules?
I haven't experienced it myself but i see it a lot at the nursery i buy my cacti from. 90% of these cases happen to the so called "lollipop cacti" and the rest with rebutia heliosa
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
CACTUSCANADA

Post by CACTUSCANADA »

ElieEstephane wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:47 pm Maybe a photo of where the rot started and how it disallowed - see forum rules?
I haven't experienced it myself but i see it a lot at the nursery i buy my cacti from. 90% of these cases happen to the so called "lollipop cacti" and the rest with rebutia heliosa
Forum rules?

In this case photos wouldn't have done much justice as it was internal. By the time I caught it, it was thoroughly spread.
That being said, its time to dust off the ol Nikon.
:D
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

That would be "how it ev0lved". Forum changes it
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen: