Faucaria tigrina seedlings with small pits/dimples?

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
mikej

Faucaria tigrina seedlings with small pits/dimples?

Post by mikej »

I'm not sure what's going on, but these little dimples in my Faucaria tigrina seedlings appeared a few days ago (the seedlings are a month or two old). What can I do about this? (I don't know if it's a disease, a very well-hidden bug, or something else entirely.)
Attachments
F_tigrina_seedlings.jpg
F_tigrina_seedlings.jpg (50.64 KiB) Viewed 2166 times
MrPintxo

Re: Faucaria tigrina seedlings with small pits/dimples?

Post by MrPintxo »

It looks like bug bites.
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

Slug/snail bites. They seen to have to take a good chunk out before they decide it does not taste good. I had a slug do this to a couple of my lophophora williamsii, I bet it was a bit more than the bitter taste that stopped his return.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
mikej

Post by mikej »

Hm, interesting. I have seen a few small dead flies near my plants in general; could it be fly larvae, hiding out in the soil somewhere or something? (The dead flies were rather small, roughly the size of fruit flies or a bit bigger.)

Either way, sounds like I should take a really close look tonight when I get home. May be time to break out the loupe.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

I agree with ade, that's slug or snail damage. You won't need a loupe to see the culprit.
Spence :mrgreen:
Pushrestart

Post by Pushrestart »

If you saw dead flies nearby- they could be fungus gnats and if so those disgusting creatures are vectors for a number of fungal problems.
I typically understand circular damage as being fungal- so thats what Im thinking.
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

Change the soil if you think it's fungal. Reduce greatly ir remove the organic components so there is nothing in the soil to encourage fungi to grow.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
mikej

Post by mikej »

Hm. I can't see any snails, etc., so I'm not sure there's much I can do there. If it's fungal, I'm inclined to wait and see what happens: I have another pot with entirely inorganic media as a backup (though I've learned the hard way that fungus can still grow there!). The seedlings are so small still that I think trying to transplant them may be even riskier than waiting and seeing.
iann

Post by iann »

You can get marks like that from microscopic damage that then expands. Something like a mite or even a tiny fungal lesion. I haven't seen it on Faucaria seedlings before. Snail bits leave a distinctive rasping pattern which you can see with a magnifier, or by eye once you know what to look for. These would be pretty small ones though.

I'd aim for the brightest light you can find at this time of year, and drier soil. They don't need to be constantly wet now, although don't leave them completely dry for long or they'll stop growing.
--ian
mikej

Post by mikej »

Thanks! How long should they remain dry? Water as soon as completely dry, or wait a day or two?