Miles' To Go Fall plant list out!

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Thord Hakansson

Re: Miles' To Go Fall plant list out!

Post by Thord Hakansson »

Hi George ! that seems to be quite a lot of coir! Since it holds water for a looong time you should be very careful with your watering regime.If you can´t get pumice perhaps you can get som cat litter? It must be the pink variant (danish moler) otherwise it will disintegrate and make the substrate hard as cement! I for one never use more than around 10% of coir in my substrate,other ingridients being pumice and cat litter in equal parts. This has served me well for the last ten years.
growing allkinds of smallgrowing cacti in the north of europe
graffiti

Post by graffiti »

george76904 wrote: Recently I decided soiless was really the way to go. I have been doing straight 50-50 pearlite to coir. Would like to use pumice but I can't get it around here. So far the plants seem to like it. They certainly grow fine with it. I am doing a long term comparison. My cactus blend or soiless, I will be observing the grown between two cacti hopefully in a year or two I can have some decent results.
It sounds to me like you need to go full on mineral. Maybe the humidity in GA isn't letting them dry out enough. I know in New England I do like 95% NAPA 8822 and like 5% compost because I know that the weather here won't dry out any soil other than that fast enough to keep rot at bay.
george76904

Post by george76904 »

Its not that my usual cactus soil was doing anything wrong it was working fine, but I was was experimenting. I decided to try something different. The mix becomes bone dry in a couple days even in the extremely humid conditions.