Unknown Ephiphyte with a weird appendage

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Franj

Unknown Ephiphyte with a weird appendage

Post by Franj »

Hi all :D

Haven't posted here in awhile. My 60 hour a week job has been more like 80 of late. But this has me fascinated and I really am not quite sure what I'm looking at.

Last spring I attended a Central Arizona Cactus and Succulent Society show and sale at the Desert Botanical Gardens in Phoenix. My first trip there, I also spent considerable time touring their grounds. In their Epi cactus house I found this tiny chunk of orange something on the floor and asked an employee working near by if I could have it. He said sure why not, I'm only going to sweep it up and trash it anyway. I actually managed to root it but it grew incredibly slow putting out little more than an inch and a half long branch since.

It has now grown a curious appendage. It has also maintained it's marvelous orange color. Is this thing trying to flower? Or am I allready looking at the flower? Little more than an 1/8th inch across it looks unlike any flower bud I've ever seen. What do I have here?

Franj

As close as I can get.

daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Is that really growing out of the plant? 8-[

That is most unusual. Unless someone else recognizes it, you must keep us up to date on its development.

You say it was at the DBG; accidental exposure to radiation or falling into toxic waste are ruled out then. :alien:
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Franj

Post by Franj »

Someone on another forum suggested it might be a parasitic plant. That maybe a Tillandsia seed got hooked on the spines and germinated. Interesting idea except I don't have any Tillandsia.
Bill in SC

Post by Bill in SC »

Weird to say the least! Most interesting! Do keep us updated..
BB in SC
peterb

Post by peterb »

Hi- I'm going to vote for that thingy being the just-emerging leafy flower stalk. I look forward to seeing what happens next.

peterb