New Seedling IDs

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Samee

New Seedling IDs

Post by Samee »

Hi guys, I was very fortunate to start my collection with the help of a member here. I finally potted them and they are sitting at the bottom of my balcony. Before this they sat inside for a week beside a windor, they got a little bit of direct sunlight and alot of indirect. For another week Im going to leave them down before bringing them up where they will get many hours of sunlight. I would now like some Ids. The plants I got are:

Escobaria sneedii ssp. leii (zone 5)
Echinocereus triglochidiatus "inermis" (grown in zone 3/4)
Escobaria Vivipara (zone 4)
Stenocactus crispatus (outdoor summer, indoor winter)
Echinopsis bruchii (outdoor summer, indoor winter)
Ferocactus cylindraceus (outdoor summer, indoor winter)

Im trying to put the names to the faces :)

My guess:
1) Echinopsis pachanoi
2) Cereus peruvianus
3) Ferocactus cylindraceus
4) Stenocactus crispatus
5) Echinocereus triglochidiatus "inermis"
6) Echinopsis bruchii
Last edited by Samee on Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:31 pm, edited 5 times in total.
CactusFanDan

Re: New Seedling IDs

Post by CactusFanDan »

I think your guesses are right. 6 look more like Echinopsis bruchii, though and 4 might be a Stenocactus, it's not too easy to tell.
1 appears to be a Trichocereus and 2 looks like Cereus tetragonus 'Fairy castles'.
The two in front of Escobaria sneedii v. leei could be Escobaria vivipara. Most of these are a bit young to really tell what they are. :P
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Samee - 2 is C. peruvianus (Dan I don't do "Fairy Castles" :wink:); Steno. crispatus is "diagonal" to E. leei.
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
Samee

Post by Samee »

Thank you both for the replies, I will update the OP with new pics.

I think theres one lee, to its right is viv and the bottom two are crisp. I notice in the pic that both the crisp have long hair while the viv does not.

Im really worried now, the three species will be spending time outside this winter in zone 5 while the rest inside, so I need to make sure. I didnt pay attention to the labels when they arrived :(
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

The 2 Steno's can't stay outside; the leei is recommended as a "trough" plant, which allows much more moisture protection outdoors in Winter; vivip just needs "well-drained" soil for Winter.
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
Samee

Post by Samee »

hoteidoc wrote:The 2 Steno's can't stay outside; the leei is recommended as a "trough" plant, which allows much more moisture protection outdoors in Winter; vivip just needs "well-drained" soil for Winter.

Yes you are right, Im looking at my notes. The three cacti that can stand zone 5 are the lee, vivi and inermis. I just want to separate them from the rest, the rest will go indoors during winter. This is in my balcony so 0% worry during winter. I will need to seperate the steno from the leei pot.
Samee

Post by Samee »

Im going to bump this up again, hope people dont mind. Im going to post the updated pics here, if it gets confusing, I will delete the pics in the OP. I hope Im right.

2 Left - Echinopsis bruchii...1 right ???

Front Left - Leei...Back Left - Vivi...Front Right - Inermis (this pot will stay outside for the winter)

Front - Cereus peruvianus...Back - Echinopsis pachanoi

Two Stenocactus crispatus

Ferocactus cylindraceus

In first pic as well, no sure on ID