Cactus or Cacti?

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
majcka

Re: Cactus or Cacti?

Post by majcka »

What would you say if I tell you we (in Slovenian language) have not only singular and plural but also a dual. I wonder how things would sound like in English. :lol:
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

peterb

Post by peterb »

We have a dual also. But it's the same as the singular. :-) "Are you going to the store?" can be addressed to one, two or a million people at once. We do have a few ways to try to specify. "Are you two going to the store?" "Are y'all going to the store?" Etc. The Wiki link is interesting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_(grammatical_number" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

peterb
Zone 9
majcka

Post by majcka »

peterb wrote:We have a dual also. But it's the same as the singular. :-) "Are you going to the store?" can be addressed to one, two or a million people at once. We do have a few ways to try to specify. "Are you two going to the store?" "Are y'all going to the store?" Etc. The Wiki link is interesting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_(grammatical_number" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

peterb
Right. But we say different for dual (most of the time there is the difference. Sometimes it is the same)

We say 1 kaktus, 2 kaktusa, and 3,4,5,6...kaktusi. :lol:
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

Don't forget in some neighborhoods, "Yo, goin to da store." :lol:
bluetexasbonnie
Location: Geronimo, Texas (near San Antonio) Edge of zone 8a - 8b.

Post by bluetexasbonnie »

I know I am late to this party, but ...

There is no such compound word as Cactiguide or Cactusguide in standard dictionaries. It is a newly coined "word", hence however it is initially used is automatically correct.

Personally, I think Cactiguide was an excellent choice. I like the way it glides off the tongue in a nice smooth melodious roll. Cactusguide is harsher, more abrupt and a bit harder to enunciate quickly.
My cactus must be gods. They demand blood sacrifice.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

bluetexasbonnie wrote:I know I am late to this party, but ...

There is no such compound word as Cactiguide or Cactusguide in standard dictionaries. It is a newly coined "word", hence however it is initially used is automatically correct.

Personally, I think Cactiguide was an excellent choice. I like the way it glides off the tongue in a nice smooth melodious roll. Cactusguide is harsher, more abrupt and a bit harder to enunciate quickly.
You misunderstood, it's "Cacti Identification" that the gripe is about.
Spence :mrgreen:
bluetexasbonnie
Location: Geronimo, Texas (near San Antonio) Edge of zone 8a - 8b.

Post by bluetexasbonnie »

As my kids say, "Oops, Me bad."
My cactus must be gods. They demand blood sacrifice.