Producing offsets from a stump? -Echinopsis bridgesii

Multiplying your cacti vegetatively.
davidoden

Producing offsets from a stump? -Echinopsis bridgesii

Post by davidoden »

After cutting 3/4 of the top length of an Echinopsis columnar spp., I leave the stump, which is about a 0.5 to 1 foot high, in order for it to produce offsets. However, I've had trouble for years getting them to do this. The only time I got three at the base from a 1 ft growing San Pedro was when it was a very hot Texas summer and they didn't any water. Anyways, does anyone know how I am to get the base of the cactus, after cutting, to produce pups? Do I water the stump?, heavily?, or do I give it absolutely no water? In full direct hot sun? shade? Most of the ones I've cut end up just simply slowly shrivling up (this is with water) and then just slowly die. I can't get them to pup. Can anyone help me or know how to do this?

Thanks

David
Peterthecactusguy

Re: Producing offsets from a stump? -Echinopsis bridgesii

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

some cacti will produce new "heads" when the top is chopped off or if the meristem is damaged or dead. (a new areole can produce a new head) Sometimes... However I dont know about ever species doing this. Perhaps it is one that doesnt?

As for pupping at the base of San Pedros, that is interesting, since mine grew new pups at the base after having the tops damaged by cold. Slowly pups formed on the ends as well, that is just how they grow.
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

I've had them offset @ top, bottom, & both! Last 2 Summers were quite hot (for upstate NY) & I H20'ed pretty heavy, so for totally uncontrolled experiment.... those are the results.
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
davidoden

Post by davidoden »

Thanks for your help.
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

hoteidoc wrote:I've had them offset @ top, bottom, & both! Last 2 Summers were quite hot (for upstate NY) & I H20'ed pretty heavy, so for totally uncontrolled experiment.... those are the results.

Ive had the same thing i do alot of cuttings in the spring i get pups to grow from the dried top cut edges and around the sides and base.. Echinopsis seem to be easy to get pups from when cut. :D
A rescue dog is never to old to learn to be a real dog. Image