Rescued Nopal!

Multiplying your cacti vegetatively.
Christopher Howard

Rescued Nopal!

Post by Christopher Howard »

I was at the market the other day and decided I'd get a very cheap cutting of an Opuntia ficus-indica(yes?) and put it in a pot to try to grow it some roots.

Anyone ever try this? I just wonder if the plant was stressed too much on its way to the market. It still has everything intact. I figure it should grow, yes?
Attachments
100_0033.JPG
100_0033.JPG (27.63 KiB) Viewed 1456 times
hoteidoc

Re: Rescued Nopal!

Post by hoteidoc »

Opuntia - Stressed :lol: Only if it got stored in the freezer on the way to market.
Should grow fine!
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
Christopher Howard

Post by Christopher Howard »

Well I'm just thinking about in shipping that it could have been some place where the temperature had been quite low. It's certainly not warm here. And even in the store, they were somewhat chilled. But it seems ok. I'll start my prickly pear business before we know it!
promethean_spark

Post by promethean_spark »

I got a few pads several years ago (they were 0.10/lb on sale). I think 2/4 rooted - not bad for 20c. Usually pads in the grocery store are young and tender, and often they've been handled with sharp tongs so there may be a few odd holes and injuries in them.
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

let see. I have two pads of Opuntia that were hit by a drunk driver (actually one is more like several pads). I have two that I found in the road, I have two more that might not make it this year that I found dumped, and I have the cactus hack job I did on an O. ficus-indica that is many pads, I have the one that I dug up from the school that broke in half, and lastly I have 3 Cylindropuntias that I rescued off the road. I think it will be fine. If it really is O. ficus-indica it would be mushy if it was frozen, and then it turns black.
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
majcka

Post by majcka »

Peterthecactusguy wrote:let see. I have two pads of Opuntia that were hit by a drunk driver (actually one is more like several pads). I have two that I found in the road, I have two more that might not make it this year that I found dumped, and I have the cactus hack job I did on an O. ficus-indica that is many pads, I have the one that I dug up from the school that broke in half, and lastly I have 3 Cylindropuntias that I rescued off the road. I think it will be fine. If it really is O. ficus-indica it would be mushy if it was frozen, and then it turns black.
You won't run out of opuntias just yet. Unless you eat them for your every day meal. Image
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

lol I wont ever run out of Opuntia. I have some that I rescued that are all dead I think, but I left em outside in the freezing weather this year. I am not sure if I can salvage any. That is the only way to kill them, other than give them too much water.
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.