Propagating Euphorbia Suzanna

Multiplying your cacti vegetatively.
elodiem
Location: Burgundy, France - close to Dijon, Beaune, Nuits St Georges, the Jura. By the river Saône.

Propagating Euphorbia Suzanna

Post by elodiem »

Hello,

I was sold this as Euphorbia Suzanna. It grows plenty of "branches", which flower beautifully, though it's not terribly spectacular. I have tried to cut off some of these and repot them to multiply the plant, but never suceeded. :( Any tip to follow in order to get more plants, like, when to do it, how to do it...?

PS : the lions are not life-size...
Attachments
IMG_3595.JPG
IMG_3595.JPG (143.59 KiB) Viewed 2698 times
majcka

Re: Propagating Euphorbia Suzanna

Post by majcka »

I'm glad you said about lions. Othervise it would be a very giant Euphorbia. :D

About the plant multiplication... I think you just have to keep trying. When you cut off the branch I think it must be kapt for awhile for wound to dry, then you can pot it. And that is about all I know about Euphorbia multiplication. #-o
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

My only experience is with a E. trigona. Takes a fair while (weeks --> months) after callusing. Just got a baby E. suzanne for the Holidays. Hope it grows big & strong like your's! :D No, not flashy but bumpy with no spines :wink: ; nice symentry!
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
Pilif

Post by Pilif »

propagating these via cuttings shouldn't be a problem. I guess you're potting them up too soon after cutting (let them callus over for a couple of weeks), or you're not waiting long enough before watering it (i.e. you're keeping it too wet while it doesn't have a root system yet), maybe the cutting's you've taken are too small, ...

There are quite some reasons taking euphorbia/succulent cuttings can go wrong, but generally they are some of the easiest species to propagate via cuttings.
Filip
Tony

Post by Tony »

Euphorbia cuttings generally root easily for me, but only in the warm summer months.
Cuttings made in fall or winter just sit and dry up on me.
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
elodiem
Location: Burgundy, France - close to Dijon, Beaune, Nuits St Georges, the Jura. By the river Saône.

Post by elodiem »

Thank you all. I think I get the idea. I shall follow your advice, wait for the (hopefully) hot summer months and leave the cuttings a long while before re-potting. So I'll tell you all of my success in the summer!! :wink:
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Thanks for your observation/experience, Tony! As I think back, frequently cuttings were done @ end of season or early before any growth started (i.e. Spring pruning), so delayed rooting would make sense! :roll:
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!