Opuntia jamaicensis?

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
tacrolimus

Opuntia jamaicensis?

Post by tacrolimus »

Hello everybody.
I'd like to classify the surviving portion of this Opuntia. Much of the plant was infact covered with scale insects and I decided to take a cutting from a part of the stem less infested and to treat these few paddles only (the treatment is not yet complete).
The original plant was 40-45 cm tall and every areole bears two spines. Glochids are brownish and very short.
I've tentatively classified this Opuntia as jamaicensis but i'm not sure.
Can you help me?

Thank you
Luigi
Attachments
DSCF0014.JPG
DSCF0014.JPG (22.74 KiB) Viewed 1188 times
a62.jpg
a62.jpg (34.53 KiB) Viewed 1188 times
a63.jpg
a63.jpg (29.1 KiB) Viewed 1188 times
Mike

Re: Opuntia jamaicensis?

Post by Mike »

Looks like a Consolea to me, a genus in the opuntiod family from the Caribean. Mike
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

not sure. a google search brought up probably false results for pictures. I think the ones in the pictures were O. paraguensis. But then again I dont know, I do think that looks rather Consolea to me as well, in fact that was my first thought. If it is an Opuntia (proper I mean) then it could be one of the South American ones..
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
tacrolimus

Post by tacrolimus »

Thank you for your suggestions.
The only Consolea vaguely resembling my plant is C. rufescens, but the latter is spineless, i read.
I've also tried this tool without success (too many results fit the details i chose):
http://www.discoverlife.org/mp/20q?guide=Opuntia" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm posting another shot (another cutting of the same mother plant) if this can be of help.

Thank you
Luigi
Attachments
a154.jpg
a154.jpg (42.11 KiB) Viewed 1107 times
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

yeah, I am not sure. Cactiguide doesn't have a picture so it makes it hard. Let me check TCF and get back to you.

(edit) It could be, but I am not sure. I have never heard of this plant until you posted about it. It might be one of those really rare plants, since it only grows in Jamaica..

:)
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.